• Page:

TOPIC:

CDI box for KZ 25 Nov 2018 20:34 #794214

• Ojisan rider
  • Ojisan rider's Avatar Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 63
Aloha guys.

Just as the title reads, do we have CDI box kit we can install into our bike?

Reason I'm asking is that I have two Pulse pick-up, one from my previous bike and other I bought it from evilbay as spare. Both are same in dimension, but does not line up with the bolt holes in the case. I have separate thread/post regarding this if you want to read what I'm talking about.

Anyway, because of this, I may go with aftermarket ignition system if it's better then OEM stuff. My Monte Carlo SS had MSD box (6AL) which I understand it was CDI unit for the car. I now run Summit Racing box which I also believe it's CDI box. Do we have something like this where I can install it as a kit? I was gonna modify the bolt holes on the plate but was thinking if better choice is out there.

I did look at Dyna stuff, but it does not say anything about they been CDI or not.
82' KZ750-R1 cafe racer style. Clip-on, Rear set, Fork-Brace, Mikuni Flat-slide (forgot the size), Kerker.
84' GPz750 (basket case). everything are in pieces.
89' ZX750-H1 (ZX-7 Ninja). Resurrection project are on going with my KZ750. Everything is stock.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

CDI box for KZ 26 Nov 2018 03:09 #794218

• zed1015
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1441
Just stick a Dyna 'S' on it.
Simple proven reliable kit with no CDI to go wrong.
AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS
kzrider.com/forum/23-for-sale/611992-air-corrector-jets-

The following user(s) said Thank You: Street Fighter LTD

CDI box for KZ 27 Nov 2018 08:28 #794259

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
The factory ignition is not CDI. It is transistorized flyback (aka Kettering(.
The Dyna S and other Dyna ignitions are not CDI. They are also transistorized flyback.

Single fire CDI does not work as nicely as flyback at lower RPMs due to the very short duration of the spark, but they are preferred in two-strokes and high-compression race motors since they can produce higher voltage. Normal KZ's don't need the extra voltage since they don't get fouled like a two-stroke and don't have compression much higher than 10:1 or so.

Multi-fire CDI (MSD) makes up for the short duration by firing multiple times at lower RPMs, but the control box for something like that is typically very big... not very convenient on a bike.

The cheapest replacement would be a Dyna S, but a factory system is far more efficient and does not melt coils if you accidentally leave the ignition switch turned on. The Dyna S requires different coils than the factory electronic ignition, so you would have to get new coils too.

You should be able to fit your timing plate 59026-1017 onto just about any 650 or 750-four motor. I've even fit a 550 timing plate to a Zx750 motor with no problem. Can you just file the holes a little bit to get them to line up?

Your plate should look similar to this:
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nessism

Last edit: by loudhvx.

CDI box for KZ 27 Nov 2018 19:49 #794286

• DOHC
  • Sustaining Member
  • Those Doe-Hawks really go!
  • Thank you received: 494

loudhvx wrote: a factory system is far more efficient and does not melt coils if you accidentally leave the ignition switch turned on.

I believe you're comparing the factory electronic ignition compared to the Dyna S. Since the Dyna S is intended to be a replacement for mechanical points, it seems worth mentioning that, compared to points, the Dyna S shouldn't really draw more power or damage coils any more than the points would. Does that seem right?

The Dyna S requires different coils than the factory electronic ignition, so you would have to get new coils too.

Again, this is true for electronic ignition bikes. The Dyna S manual says it requires coils with greater than 3 ohm primary resistance. The KZ650 manual says the points bikes coils have a primary of 3.2 to 4.8 ohm. The KZ750 manual, for bikes with electronic ignition, gives a coil primary of 1.8 to 2.8 ohm.
'78 Z1-R in blue , '78 Z1-R in black, '78 Z1-R in pieces
My dad's '74 Z1
'00 ZRX1100

Last edit: by DOHC.

CDI box for KZ 27 Nov 2018 21:35 #794290

• azman857
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 111
Check out WWW.kz650ignition.com . I have been running a similar system on my XS650 for a few years. You can run stock coils. check it out.
I don't have a plan and I'm sticken' to it! '77 KZ 650 / 750 GPz custom project in progress

CDI box for KZ 28 Nov 2018 04:09 #794292

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615

DOHC wrote:

loudhvx wrote: a factory system is far more efficient and does not melt coils if you accidentally leave the ignition switch turned on.

I believe you're comparing the factory electronic ignition compared to the Dyna S. Since the Dyna S is intended to be a replacement for mechanical points, it seems worth mentioning that, compared to points, the Dyna S shouldn't really draw more power or damage coils any more than the points would. Does that seem right?

The Dyna S requires different coils than the factory electronic ignition, so you would have to get new coils too.

Again, this is true for electronic ignition bikes. The Dyna S manual says it requires coils with greater than 3 ohm primary resistance. The KZ650 manual says the points bikes coils have a primary of 3.2 to 4.8 ohm. The KZ750 manual, for bikes with electronic ignition, gives a coil primary of 1.8 to 2.8 ohm.

The original post is about electronic ignition, so that is what I was mostly referring to.

Regarding the Dyna S compared to points: While running, the Dyna S will draw more average current than stock, approaching double, due to the dwell being nearly double that of points. If 3 ohm coils are used, as is common, the current will be higher since the resistance is lower. This increase exists even if the engine is not running with the switch turned on. In that condition, the 3 ohm coils will be dissipating more heat than the points 4 ohm coils.

Last edit: by loudhvx.

CDI box for KZ 07 Dec 2018 01:26 #794758

• Ojisan rider
  • Ojisan rider's Avatar Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 63
Been bit busy lately, so sorry for my late reply.

Thanks for all the input guys. Been away from the bike for a while (more than 20 years), so guess I have't caught up with current technology.

Need to do some reading after seen all these tech advise.

Damn! It was lot more simpler back then................. But bikes were lot more slower on the streets..................................
82' KZ750-R1 cafe racer style. Clip-on, Rear set, Fork-Brace, Mikuni Flat-slide (forgot the size), Kerker.
84' GPz750 (basket case). everything are in pieces.
89' ZX750-H1 (ZX-7 Ninja). Resurrection project are on going with my KZ750. Everything is stock.

• Page: