Dyna S wiring and Kz timing plate variations...

• loudhvx
  • Topic Author
  • KZr Legend
More
13 Oct 2018 08:35 - 13 Oct 2018 08:40 #792240 by loudhvx
So when I was researching something for another ignition question, I came across this topic.
www.kzrider.com/forum/2-engine/599036-kz...s-not-right?start=40
I dredged it back up earlier this year to post some thoughts on it. But that topic got me thinking about timing plates and timing pointers (the one cast into the engine's ignition housing). The Kz550 and Kz650 families of motors use the same timing plates, but I think the cast timing mark on the Kz650 is straight up, while the one on the Kz550 is CCW by 15 degrees. (Measured from the engine case split line.) The irregular hole arrangement means the timing plate is mounted CCW by 10 degrees. So there is a 5 deg discrepancy between plate and motor which has to be resolved in the advancer mechanism... which is what started this research.

Can someone confirm for me the Kz650's mark is indeed straight up?
Also, it wouldn't hurt to get the same info for a Kz900/1000/1100 family motor as well.
There is no hurry, it's nothing urgent at all, just for curiosity sake. A photo taken from far away (like 10 feet or more) and zoomed in will flatten the curvature to get a decent measurable image. The lens axis needs to be coincident with the crankshaft axis.

The differences between motor families might also explain why the factory timing plates on the electronic ignitions from the Kz650 and Kz550 are not simple mounting holes. The left hole is slightly elongated and the top hole is much more elongated. When mounted to the engine, the top hole barely has enough slot to get the bolt in at the left edge. The mounting standoffs between motor families must be slightly different.

Anyway, it was just some stuff that has been in the back of my mind for some time.

Along the way, while googling images, I started noticing variations in the wiring of Dyna S modules. I wasn't even aware they revised the modules to a much flatter type. The new type can be identified by the blue sticker on the right module. But I also noticed the old type modules appear to have two different wiring schemes on the actual modules. I think the older version of the 1st gen Dyna S modules had the red wires on the outer wires, while the later 1st gen modules had the red wires attached to the inner wires of the modules. The new 2nd gen modules seem to all use the inner wires for red, and the outer for black and white. However, even in the 2nd gen there is variation on the color of the pigtails coming out of the modules. I think the older ones were all black, while the newer ones are in the color that the long wires will be.

This is really only important to anyone fixing a Dyna S unit by replacing the individual modules. I'll post images for the differences.

Thanks for reading the ramblings, yes, it's been cold and rainy here. :)

Attachments:
Last edit: 13 Oct 2018 08:40 by loudhvx.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Oct 2018 09:40 - 13 Oct 2018 09:41 #792242 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic Dyna S wiring and Kz timing plate variations...
1981 KZ650-CSR w stock electronic ignition.

....These pics are from several years ago & I don't know the exact orientation of the timing mark.

Last edit: 13 Oct 2018 09:41 by martin_csr.

• loudhvx
  • Topic Author
  • KZr Legend
More
13 Oct 2018 09:43 #792243 by loudhvx
Thanks Martin. So it looks like there is a matter of a few degrees. Either the mounting hole or the timing mark, or both, are not straight up at 12 o clock.