coil to plug order

More
04 Oct 2018 16:51 #791835 by crow
coil to plug order was created by crow
I have a 2000 model 1000p kaw police bike that I have running but having trouble being positive of the exact routing of the plug wires from the coils to the plugs . Could someone help me out . Thanks , Crow ...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
04 Oct 2018 16:55 #791837 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic coil to plug order
1/4-2/3. If it won't run switch the wires in reverse.
Steve
The following user(s) said Thank You: crow

More
04 Oct 2018 18:17 #791838 by crow
Replied by crow on topic coil to plug order
This bike hasn't ran much for some time and had been messed with by more than one person , I have it running and not too bad but not right yet . I can't find a diagram for exact plug wiring . looking toward the front of the motor now I have the left front coil wire going to the No.1 or left plug the left rear coil wire to the No. 4 or far right plug . The front right coil wire going to the No. 2 plug and the right rear coil wire going to No. 3 ....

More
05 Oct 2018 06:42 - 05 Oct 2018 06:48 #791858 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic coil to plug order
It sounds like you have Dyna ignition coils. either green or grey.
It doesn't matter which spark plug wire goes to which plug wire tower, just so long as the correct pair go to the correct coil.

From the diagrams at Partzilla. 1 & 4 are connected to the RH ignition coil, and 2 & 3 are connected to the LH coil.
From a 1000P wiring diagram: . 1-4 ignition coil = black & red wires .. and .. 2-3 ignition coil = green & red wires

The cylinders, exhaust pipes, etc are numbered 1-2-3-4 .Left-to-Right as you are sitting on the motorcycle.

Last edit: 05 Oct 2018 06:48 by martin_csr.

More
05 Oct 2018 06:49 #791860 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic coil to plug order

martin_csr wrote: It sounds like you have Dyna ignition coils. either green or grey.
It doesn't matter which spark plug wire goes to which plug wire tower, just so long as the correct pair go to the correct coil.

From the diagrams at Partzilla. 1 & 4 are connected to the RH ignition coil, and 2 & 3 are connected to the LH coil.
From a 1000P wiring diagram: . 1-4 ignition coil = black & red wires .. and .. 2-3 ignition coil = green & red wires

The cylinders, exhaust pipes, etc are numbered 1-2-3-4 ..Left-to-Right as you are sitting on the motorcycle.

That's interesting. The large motor Kz's originally came with the 1-4 coil on the left and 2-3 on the right, which is opposite of the smaller motor KZ's. But they must have changed that at some point to make the big motors conform to the small motors.

More
05 Oct 2018 06:59 #791861 by TexasKZ
Replied by TexasKZ on topic coil to plug order
Or some po put the coils on the opposite side from factory.
No matter, as long as the coil with the red and black wires are connected to cylinders 1 & 4, he should be good to go.

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

More
05 Oct 2018 07:58 - 05 Oct 2018 15:54 #791869 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic coil to plug order

By loudhvx: That's interesting. The large motor Kz's originally came with the 1-4 coil on the left and 2-3 on the right, which is opposite of the smaller motor KZ's. But they must have changed that at some point to make the big motors conform to the small motors.

I don't know for certain what side the coils were on from the factory, but that's how the parts diagram has it. I wasn't sure, so I added the wire color info. If they are the same as the small Fours, then perhaps it was because of the electronic ignition. ???

Last edit: 05 Oct 2018 15:54 by martin_csr.

More
05 Oct 2018 09:34 #791877 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic coil to plug order
I'm pretty sure at least one of the GPz1100 had its coils mounted the same as the smaller fours. So I thought Kawasaki made a switch at some point. It would make sense that the police bikes would have the switch as well since they were made much later than the other Kz's.

It doesn't matter to the functionality of the motor, but for those of us making diagrams and other graphics for people to use in troubleshooting, it's nice to show it the way it would have come from the factory so variables are reduced during troubleshooting and when given an arbitrary decision to make regarding mounting, might as well make it the way it was originally. Having a convention also makes it much easier for parts swapping.