Switching from generator to alternator- 440 engine swap to 400...

• Lord_Verminaard
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
01 Oct 2018 09:17 #791651 by Lord_Verminaard
Hey all, been a while since I posted last, my project took a new turn, I did have the bike up and riding a little for a while, but carb issues made me put it away, but in the spring a running 440 parts bike came up locally on Craigslist for cheap, couldn't pass it up so I snatched it. So now my 76 400 has a 440 engine. This was nice because now I also have the electronic ignition and 6-speed too.

I have a question on the wiring. The ignition seemed easy enough, haven't tested it yet but it was pretty straightforward. I am getting to the charging system now, and the systems are slightly different. The 400 had a couple extra wires coming from the generator and it also has a separate rectifier\regulator, the 400 has less wires (just two yellow I think) and an all-in-one rec\reg. How should I go about wiring the 440 system in? Or find a used ZX500 regulator and make it custom, using the 440 wiring diagram as a guide? I don't really want to swap the whole harness over to 440 and I also don't really want to hack up the 440 harness either.

Guidance is appreciated! Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Oct 2018 15:04 - 02 Oct 2018 06:06 #791672 by martin_csr
The KZ440 probably has a single phase alternator with 2 yellow wires coming from the stator. The ZX550 is 3-phase w 3 yellow wires.
I would get a voltage regulator suitable for the 440. I don't know if there are any modern Kawasaki reg-recs that can be used, but there should be new aftermarket units available. Rick's Motorsport Electrics has one. The Ricks unit has the voltage sensing circuitry built in, so you don't need to connect a brown wire.

Last edit: 02 Oct 2018 06:06 by martin_csr.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.