KZ650 stator upgrade (dyna s ignition)

More
27 Sep 2018 15:59 - 27 Sep 2018 16:41 #791520 by kaprice919
KZ650 stator upgrade (dyna s ignition) was created by kaprice919
Hi all,
New member here. Thanks for all your help in advance.

Ive got a 1980 kz650 ltd. Its got some issues with charging as it will charge at 12.7v @ 4k rpm. I've got the Dyna S ignition and im guessing this is the issue, as I have just changed the regulator and tested the stator with no problems.

I dont have the stock coils, so I was thinking of keeping the dyna s and upgrading this tiny single phase stator to a 3 phase stator (as mentioned in some old threads) to give me more charging power.

Im planning on buying the following:
www.electrosport.com/products/esg013-sta...ki-kz750-zx750-80-85
www.electrosport.com/collections/street-...r-kawasaki-kz-models

Is it easier/cheaper to do it this way, or to buy the stock ignition coils and replace the dyna coils?

Thanks!
Last edit: 27 Sep 2018 16:41 by kaprice919.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Nessism
  • Away
  • Sustaining Member
More
27 Sep 2018 17:10 - 27 Sep 2018 17:14 #791521 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic KZ650 stator upgrade (dyna s ignition)
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationI'd get a Rick's stator and a Shindengen SH-775 R/R. The R/R improvement is significant, and Rick's stators are the best on the market in my opinion. I've posted extensively about the SH-775 so a search here, or around the web in general, will detail why it's so much better.

Good luck

BTW, your charging system problems have nothing to do with the Dyna S or coils. That's the ignition, the stator and R/R are the charging system.

Last edit: 27 Sep 2018 17:14 by Nessism.

More
27 Sep 2018 17:25 #791522 by kaprice919
Replied by kaprice919 on topic KZ650 stator upgrade (dyna s ignition)
Hey man thanks for the reply, ill look into those. The rectifier looks a little more complicated than what Im used to....This is my first time working on bikes

There are a lot of old threads on here talking about how on a 1980 kz650 the dyna s takes more amp (8) versus stock (3) and it causes the system to run low (12.5v when running). Upgrading to a 3phase stator from the single phase, or going back to stock ignition seems to fix the issue.

heres the thread if you're interested (there are a few more like this around, but theyre old) :
kzrider.com/forum/4-electrical/594097-kz...ing-issue-bad-stator

• Nessism
  • Away
  • Sustaining Member
More
28 Sep 2018 05:08 #791530 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic KZ650 stator upgrade (dyna s ignition)
Okay. Read that link and learned something about the 1 phase 650's and a Dyna S. I agree that the ignition may be contributing to the problem. You can try disconnecting the head lamp like was done in that other thread to see how your charging system reacts. Either way, upgrading the stator and R/R is money well spent. Regarding the SH775 being overly complicated, I disagree. It's dead simple to install and vastly superior to just about any shunt type R/R on the market. Triumph makes a jumper harness that you can order for about $10 which provides the connectors you need. Then it's just a matter of finding a place to mount it and doing some simple wiring to hook it up. PM me if you need help.

More
28 Sep 2018 07:33 - 28 Sep 2018 07:43 #791534 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic KZ650 stator upgrade (dyna s ignition)
Like Ed said, if you are converting to a 3-phase system, you will be doing a bit of re-wiring anyway, so the SH775 won't be much harder to install (if at all) than a factory reg/rec. If you go to an aftermarket stator, you may need something more powerful than a factory reg/rec. You don't want to use a 30+ year old reg/rec, so you would be either looking for newer used Ninja 250/500 reg/rec to use with a factory 3-phase stator, or the SH775 with an aftermarket stator. (You can also use the SH775 with a factory stator.)

Since it's only some of the 1-phase Kz650's that get affected by the Dyna S, there is a possibility some Kz650's had slightly weaker magnets on the alternator rotor (flywheel). One possibilty is that one or more magnets were installed backwards. This is only possible on flywheels that use 4 magnet sections. Kawasaki later went to 3 magnet sections (can be found on Kz550's) which can be installed either way.

This video shows the details for anyone curious:

www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&ar=1&video_id=Y1qD5trCTDk

Last edit: 28 Sep 2018 07:43 by loudhvx.