Recommendations for 1980 KZ550 Regulator Rectifier

More
04 Aug 2018 06:18 - 04 Aug 2018 06:42 #788167 by JoeyCrush

loudhvx wrote: That should work.

The black paint with bold orange stripes is a 1984 model year color scheme. Its one of the more popular schemes, but somewhat rare.

Are the rear passenger pegs mounted to tubular frame rails, or are they attached to cast aluminum triangles? If tubular steel, then the frame is likely from 1980. That matches the engine. So the body was probably swapped at some point.

It is tubular steel. Interesting. Unfortunately, I'm going to need to swap the body probably. One night 2 summers ago I was greeted by a hefty dent in the tank when returning to the bike after a Cubs game over in Wrigley. Literally looks like someone took a baseball bat to it. I have no other rational explanation.

Also Ed & Lou,

I took off the chain case cover to get to the stator wiring and it's quite a mess inside. Looks like old oil but I never had an oil leak (at least not from there). I found a small broken o-ring in the gunk. What do you think I should be looking to fix here?

1980 KZ550A
Chicago, IL
Last edit: 04 Aug 2018 06:42 by JoeyCrush.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Aug 2018 06:52 #788311 by loudhvx
That area is always messy from chain lube and dirt.  If there isn't a drip of oil when you park, then it's probably not leaking.

I'm sure if there are any simple orings in that area other than what would be used on an oring chain. Maybe the oring is from your chain.

The other seals in that area are more substantial than an oring, at least the ones I can think of.

More
06 Aug 2018 07:19 - 06 Aug 2018 07:35 #788313 by martin_csr
While you've got the engine/sprocket cover off, you could clean up the neutral switch connection as it gets pretty grungy from chain sling.
My neutral light had gotten glitchy >> in addition to the grunge, the flag connector didn't fit tight, so I crimped it a little without crushing it.

Last edit: 06 Aug 2018 07:35 by martin_csr.