Recommendations for 1980 KZ550 Regulator Rectifier

More
01 Aug 2018 12:36 #788022 by JoeyCrush
Hey Guys,

My RegRec is no good. Bought a used one off eBay and that was no good either. I’ve seen a lot of different suggestions on here for where to get a new one - but is there a cheaper route to finding a more reliable used one?

Thanks!

1980 KZ550A
Chicago, IL

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Aug 2018 12:47 #788025 by 650ed
Not used, but the shop in the link below sells really high quality regulators, rectifiers, etc.  Keep in mind that buying a used unit is, as you already found, a very risky proposition.  Ed

www.oregonmotorcycleparts.com/Products.html

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

• Nessism
  • Away
  • Sustaining Member
More
01 Aug 2018 13:13 #788029 by Nessism
I think the charging system for the 1980 KZ550 is only two phase, instead of the more common three phase.  I'm not an expert on R/R's but I think you need the appropriate two phase type R/R and not three.  For 1981 and beyond Kawasaki went to three phase.

More
01 Aug 2018 13:55 #788031 by JoeyCrush

Nessism wrote: I think the charging system for the 1980 KZ550 is only two phase.

That is right - there were only 4 cables I was testing with my meter. Red, Black, and 2 Yellow. Guess that means any newer used reg/recs aren't going to fly.

1980 KZ550A
Chicago, IL

More
01 Aug 2018 14:12 #788033 by JoeyCrush

650ed wrote: Not used, but the shop in the link below sells really high quality regulators, rectifiers, etc.  Keep in mind that buying a used unit is, as you already found, a very risky proposition.  Ed

www.oregonmotorcycleparts.com/Products.html

Yep - learned that lesson for sure.

Any chance you can help me out and confirm the VRRPM2 on this page  is what I should be ordering?

1980 KZ550A
Chicago, IL

More
01 Aug 2018 16:29 #788048 by 650ed
Your best bet is to contact the folks at Oregon Motorcycle Parts to verify exactly which unit you need.  That's what I did when I bought the rectifier for my KZ650-C1, and I found the folks there to be very knowledgeable and happy to answer questions.  I've had the rectifier on my bike for more than 6 years and it still works like new.  Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
02 Aug 2018 07:23 - 02 Aug 2018 07:31 #788078 by loudhvx
First, there is no 2-phase charging systems on kzs. It is 1-phase.

There is also a chance you can simply use a 3-phase reg/rec and just leave one of the wires unconnected. That option would cost about $10 or $20. There is a brown wire connection that you might have to add, but that is an easy mod.

Another option is to put in a 3-phase stator. Then you could use the multitude of readily available, cheap 3-phase reg/recs.

I've had very good luck with modern used reg/recs costing $10 to $20 from smaller ninjas. They are all over eBay.

Btw, is that your bike I see up on kedzie or Kimball occasionally?
Last edit: 02 Aug 2018 07:31 by loudhvx.

More
02 Aug 2018 07:41 #788080 by JoeyCrush

loudhvx wrote: First, there is no 2-phase charging systems on kzs. It is 1-phase.

There is also a chance you can simply use a 3-phase reg/rec and just leave one of the wires unconnected. That option would cost about $10 or $20. There is a brown wire connection that you might have to add, but that is an easy mod.

Another option is to put in a 3-phase stator. Then you could use the multitude of readily available, cheap 3-phase reg/recs.

I've had very good luck with modern used reg/recs costing $10 to $20 from smaller ninjas. They are all over eBay.

Btw, is that your bike I see up on kedzie or Kimball occasionally?

Thanks Lou -

I'll look into all those routes too. Haven't ordered anything yet but I have been talking to the dude over at Oregon Motorcycle Parts.

It's unlikely that that one is mine but you've worked on this bike with me before though about 3-4 years ago. I used to live in Wicker Park. I'm in Portage Park now.

1980 KZ550A
Chicago, IL

More
02 Aug 2018 15:08 #788096 by loudhvx
Yes, I remember.  Portage Park is nice. A lot more greenery near by.

I remember the bike, but I am puzzled about a couple things.  Didn't we replace part of the electronic ignition?  A 1980 model would have had points.  Did we replace the points with electronic ignition, including the coils?

Also, the bike appears to have 1984 bodywork.  So it's a 1980 model with 1984 bodywork?
Does it have diaphragm carbs or the mechanical carbs?  

Sorry for all the questions, my memory is hazy from that long ago.

• Nessism
  • Away
  • Sustaining Member
More
02 Aug 2018 15:36 - 02 Aug 2018 15:38 #788097 by Nessism
Okay, one phase and not two.  I saw two yellow wires coming from the stator and assumed too much.  I'm not an electrical expert and three wires from the stator means three phase so...

The flywheel/rotor for both the one phase and three phase bikes is the same part number so I concur with the idea of upgrading the stator.  And while some people have good luck with shunt type R/R's I still prefer the series type like the SH775.  They protect your stator from returned current overheat damage and increase piece of mind (for me anyway).  You can find them for a whole lot less $ than a new shunt R/R too
Last edit: 02 Aug 2018 15:38 by Nessism.

More
02 Aug 2018 19:01 #788108 by JoeyCrush

loudhvx wrote: Yes, I remember.  Portage Park is nice. A lot more greenery near by.

I remember the bike, but I am puzzled about a couple things.  Didn't we replace part of the electronic ignition?  A 1980 model would have had points.  Did we replace the points with electronic ignition, including the coils?

Also, the bike appears to have 1984 bodywork.  So it's a 1980 model with 1984 bodywork?
Does it have diaphragm carbs or the mechanical carbs?  

Sorry for all the questions, my memory is hazy from that long ago.

Correct - we removed the points and replaced it with an electronic ignition. We didn't replace the coils though.

You're turning my world upside down. What about it is 1984 bodywork? I had no idea.

My carbs are the TK-22.

I wound up ordering a stator from a 1983 KZ550 and a R/R from a 2007 Ninja EX250. Set me back for less than $26. Think that'll work out?

1980 KZ550A
Chicago, IL

More
03 Aug 2018 04:51 #788118 by loudhvx
That should work.

The black paint with bold orange stripes is a 1984 model year color scheme. Its one of the more popular schemes, but somewhat rare.

Are the rear passenger pegs mounted to tubular frame rails, or are they attached to cast aluminum triangles? If tubular steel, then the frame is likely from 1980. That matches the engine. So the body was probably swapped at some point.