Grounding out?

More
01 Aug 2018 12:21 #788020 by MrNoob
Grounding out? was created by MrNoob
I have a 1982 KZ440, was running fine then one day just dead (no power, no lights) not far from my place, pushed it home.  Charged the battery, reads 12.6 volts, brand new, half a season on the battery.  Dropped the battery in bike fired up tested voltage while the bike was on, reading 14.50-15.00 volts so charging is working.  I turned the bike off, went back upstairs to put the tools away grab my helmet.  Now head back downstairs turn they key no power, no lights.  Battery with the key off is 12.6 volts,  turn the key turns to 0 volts.  

Disconnect the positive and tested the ohms, i am getting very little ohms with the postive probe on the positive lead and holding the negative probe on the ground.  So probably grounding somewhere.  Checked all the connections, they look fine.  Was wondering if maybe a bad starter solenoid or ignition switch could cause this, and how to test?

any one have any ideas?  i am at a dead end :(

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
More
01 Aug 2018 13:44 - 01 Aug 2018 13:48 #788030 by Scirocco
Replied by Scirocco on topic Grounding out?
Try to disconnect all wiring harness connectors step by step.
If your Ohm reading goes to --- (endless) you know this the wiring harness you have to search for a hidden shortcut.
Some multimeter have a acoustic beep position that makes it more comfortable. 
Remove the battery first or you will destroy your multimeter!!!

Attachments:
Last edit: 01 Aug 2018 13:48 by Scirocco.

More
03 Aug 2018 16:07 #788151 by VTEC
Replied by VTEC on topic Grounding out?
If there was a short to ground on a non-fused circuit there would be a fire (ie: the positive battery cable). A short to ground on a fused circuit would blow a fuse. A bad ground breaking the main power circuit could cause your symptoms.

Get a charger, or jumper cables from your car battery, and see if it starts every time. If so, replace the battery.

I've seen more than one cheap bike battery go from fully charged to nothing, with the turn of the key, due to an internal open circuit.

KZ1000-K2
ZRX1100
XR400R
The following user(s) said Thank You: MrNoob

More
13 Aug 2018 09:52 #788760 by MrNoob
Replied by MrNoob on topic Grounding out?
So it was actually the battery that had gone bad. However, it was a brand new battery, maybe a few months old, which sucks.

• slmjim+Z1BEBE
  • User
  • Enjoy Life! IT HAS AN EXPIRATION DATE!
More
13 Aug 2018 10:32 #788761 by slmjim+Z1BEBE
Replied by slmjim+Z1BEBE on topic Grounding out?

VTEC wrote: ...I've seen more than one cheap bike battery go from fully charged to nothing, with the turn of the key, due to an internal open circuit.

Yup. That.

Years ago there was a spate of U.S. manufactured Yuasa motorcycle batteries that were notorious for that. Also marketed as Interstate and Sears DieHard. Symptom: measured open-circuit with a DMM, battery would show ~13.2 volts, but would drop to near zero volts with any kind of load. Wouldn't even power a headlight. We sent two batteries back to Yuasa USA in vermiculite packaging they provided so the could evaluate the failures. Never heard anything back from Yuasa.

Around year 2000 there was an article in the now-defunct Sportbike Magazine in which they did diagnostics of otherwise healthy batteries that had experienced the same sudden failure behavior. Without exception, they found an internal weld between cells had failed. We've looked for the article since with success.

We haven't bought a U.S sourced Yuasa battery since the 4th. or 5th sudden failure we experienced. All were less than 2 yrs. old. We've never seen a Japanese Yuasa fail like that, only the U.S. manufactured ones.

We've bought Taiwanese batteries from WalMart and a few Chinese batteries from Meijer for 15 rys. with a single sudden failure.

Out takeaway: just 'cause a battery reads ~13.2 v doesn't make it a good battery. A load test will tell the tale every time.

Good Ridin'
slmjim & Z1BEBE

A biker looks at your engine and chrome.
A Rider looks at your odometer and tags.

1973 ('72 builds) Z1 x2
1974 Z1-A x2
1975 Z1-B x2
1993 CB 750 Nighthawk x2
2009 ST1300A

www.kawasaki-z-classik.com
An enthusiast's forum focused exclusively
on all things Z1, Z2 and KZ900.

More
18 Aug 2018 07:59 #789199 by VTEC
Replied by VTEC on topic Grounding out?
Maybe I've been lucky, but I've never had the open circuit scenario with a Yuasa. Yuasa YB18L-A is the OEM battery for my KZ, and have yet to find another brand that fits correctly. They're either too tall, too narrow, terminals out of place, etc. even though the catalog says they fit my bike.

KZ1000-K2
ZRX1100
XR400R