Kz1100 headlight out - stuttering idle

More
25 Jul 2018 11:45 #787638 by chrisM
Hi everyone, 

Getting ready to drive a 1982 Kz1100A from SF to Boston and keep having a reoccurring problem:

Headlight goes out. Blinkers stop working temporarily and at the same time the engine is doing some strange things. I am fairly new to motorcycles and have done some "work" on the bike myself, but it's mostly trial and error. 

I just cleaned the carburetors with help from a mechanic and was hoping that would make the bike run smoother - but it sounds the same:

When it idles, sometimes its very high (almost 3k) and sometimes it sounds like it's a bout to die. 

When I drive on the highway, sometimes the RPM will just drop to 0. Zero!   and then randomly, it will go back up and the bike will lurch forward. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!  Thank you!!

Chris

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Jul 2018 14:03 #787645 by KzJim
Replied by KzJim on topic Kz1100 headlight out - stuttering idle
Sounds like you still have carb issues. High idle is usually a vacuum leak somewhere, not wanting to idle is primary circuit issues..

As for the headlight, something could be shorting out in the headlight housing. Start looking for anyplace the PO has hacked into the harness that could possibly cause issues. Sorry there's no simple answer as to whats causing the issues, you're going to have to start troubleshooting. Get yourself a test light and a volt meter and start looking.

I'd seriously get the issues straightened out prior to even thinking about a cross country trip..

Naiveté in grownups is often charming, but when coupled with vanity, it is indistinguishable from stupidity.
Tis better to remain silent and thought a fool - than to speak up and remove all doubt.
Did ever think that maybe you've been doing it wrong all these years?
The following user(s) said Thank You: chrisM

More
30 Jul 2018 00:22 #787890 by daveo
Replied by daveo on topic Kz1100 headlight out - stuttering idle
Take a close look in the fuse box.  Check for a loose or dirty fuse connection, and examine each one.  May want to replace a couple fuses, depending on condition.

:) 

1982 KZ1100-A2