79 kz200 electrical problems (not starting)

More
07 Jul 2018 00:55 - 07 Jul 2018 01:00 #786555 by Bloggs
Hi guys,

Just signed up to kzriders, awesome site!

My kz 200 wont start, im armed with a testing light and trying to diagnose by problems without much success. Ill try to list this chronologically so it helps make more sense.

PROBLEM
1. Bike wont crank with starter button
2. No Spark (had spark)

STUFF I DID
1. Bike was intermittently starting and cranking over using electric start on handlebar (had to press button a few times to get solenoid to engage then would crank) and plug had spark.
2. Starter solenoid/relay shorted out on frame resulting in a glorius shower of sparks
3. No longer starting with handlebar button
4. Put power directly to starter motor to see if bike would crank over, it does.
5. Figured relay/solenoid was shot so got another one.
6. Removed and installed new solenoid/relay
7. Attempted to crank over with button on handlebar, nothing
8. Test light
- power to 20A fuse
- no power to both 10A fuses
- power to relay/solenoid terminal
- no power out to starter motor from relay/solenoid
- no power at either wire (black, red/yellow) coming out of relay/solenoid feeding reg/rec & start switch/ignition coil

Any info or steps to problem solve would be awesome! I also have a wiring diagram

Cheers,

Bloggs,

From NSW, Australia.

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/rc0bJZn"><a href="//imgur.com/rc0bJZn"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

1979 KZ200A - cafe racer
1980 KZ250 - brat style
Last edit: 07 Jul 2018 01:00 by Bloggs. Reason: Add pic

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Jul 2018 05:15 #786558 by Bloggs
Replied by Bloggs on topic 79 kz200 electrical problems (not starting)
Looks like i solved my own problem!

I went back over the wiring diagram paying attention to the ignition switch and kill switch, traced wires with no power back to a point where i found some dodgy wiring with a mate.

Connected some mis connected wires and removed some additional redundant wiring and all sorted.

Also found i have a problem with my kill switch for powering other circuits (lights etc) but we got the bike running :-)

There is a link in my original post to the wiring diagram for anyone that needs one.

Cheers lads.

1979 KZ200A - cafe racer
1980 KZ250 - brat style

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.