Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Guage Glass removal 10 Jul 2006 13:41 #60817

• SuperTrey
  • SuperTrey's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Anyone know how to remove the glass from the speedo or tach on kz1000? My speedo has some funk on the back of the glass that causes some glare from the instrument lights at night.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Guage Glass removal 10 Jul 2006 16:27 #60850

• ltdrider
  • User
  • Thank you received: 17
Wiredgeorge has an awesome how-to on this.
You have to open the gage up by un-crimping the chrome ring that holds it together.
The hard part is putting the gage back together without messing up the chrome ring. Takes patience and some padded pliers.

Here's the thread:

www.kzrider.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=8772
'76 KZ900 LTD (Blaze)
'96 Voyager XII (Dark Star)
'79 KZ650 Cafe Project (Dirty Kurt)
Greensboro, NC

Guage Glass removal 10 Jul 2006 19:32 #60930

• ambergrismooon
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 2
I am in no way advocating this. But I have tried to uncrimpt 2 tachs with horrific results. Big paws, little bitty tools, patience HAH!, I CAN TOO SEE!, THEY DONT SELL BRAINS!, SO'ER YOU!...CATCH!!!.... So the next two, a spedometer and a tach that had condensation stains in them I decided to get freeky on. I actually gave then a bath in dish washer soap which I shook and adjitated by taunting with empty cans of WD40. After fully rinsing the gages I made a rinse solution using Jet Away or Jet Dry for dishwashers. Then shook out and went at them with a hair dryer. Left them out in the sun upside down for about 2 hours and remounted. They are crystal clear and no problems for 3 years. Like I said I have never heard of this being done but it worked for me. My world proberbly turns a little different than yours. I've been told this by professionals. I also had another set of gages, if it went horribly wrong, then the two mistakes would become fence post sitting evil little terrorists and be dealt with using the pump pop gun. Sometimes ya gotta put the Louisville down...Now again I am not advocating it. No way! This is not the recommended way to fix condensation stains!!

Guage Glass removal 11 Jul 2006 10:42 #61118

• SuperTrey
  • SuperTrey's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
ok, thanks for the tips. I may just live with it as the crimping sounds scary as does the Jet Dry!

Guage Glass removal 11 Jul 2006 11:15 #61126

• got12narow
  • User
Trey,

I have very minimal experience with bikes or mechanics in general, but I followed WG's tutorial and they turned out fantastic. It did take a lot of patience, and I did leave some scars on the rings. They did clean up for the most part with steel wool though. Another testament. WG is the MAN!!!!!!!!:woohoo:

Adam

Guage Glass removal 11 Jul 2006 13:01 #61150

• fixer5000
  • User
  • Thank you received: 5
heres some proof that it can be done if youre careful...key word here CAREFUL use a coffee can to back it up when you recrimp it...steve
1978 kz650b pretty much stock
\\\\\\\" get there fast but arrive alive \\\\\\\"
massachusetts
Attachments:

Guage Glass removal 12 Jul 2006 00:09 #61304

• fixer5000
  • User
please exscuse the dust!! back of them
massachusetts
Attachments:

Guage Glass removal 12 Jul 2006 10:36 #61419

• fixer5000
  • User
i also dont advocate just spinning them back but i have reset a few of them for people and heres how it can be done. mods if this isnt ok with the rulebooks please delete it for me. first you have to remove the ring, seperate the halves to get the speedo out of the housing. i suggest you put it in a vice for the next steps holding it by the lower tab not too tight!! removed the needle by gently prying up on both sides using the two small screw to lever on. spoons work nice here...dont tell the wife what youre doing with them. once the needles off remove the two screws and put them in a container...theyre small and easily lost trsut me on this one, next on the left side of the drum there is a small c clip holding the wheels together. remove this clip and put it with the screws. carefully slide the wheels to the left and youll find you can index them one by one until you get the setting you want to match. when you got it slide all the wheels back together carefully and replace the c clip, the gauge face and then the needle making sure it sits at 0. clean the gauge face before you reassemble it with the needle off. heres a pic to go by...steve
massachusetts
Attachments:

Guage Glass removal 12 Jul 2006 10:37 #61421

• fixer5000
  • User
clean faceplate
massachusetts
Attachments:

Guage Glass removal 12 Jul 2006 11:37 #61438

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
As I recall, once you get the halves apart, no disassembly otherwise is needed to roll back the mileage if you want as long as you just do the left most digit. You can pull it outwards and roll it to ZERO if you like. I suspect you need to take it apart further if you want to ZERO all the digits.
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

Guage Glass removal 12 Jul 2006 11:40 #61440

• fixer5000
  • User
wiredgeorge wrote:

As I recall, once you get the halves apart, no disassembly otherwise is needed to roll back the mileage if you want as long as you just do the left most digit. You can pull it outwards and roll it to ZERO if you like. I suspect you need to take it apart further if you want to ZERO all the digits.

if you look closer you cant pull it sideways because that c clip is there. it has to be removed...steve
massachusetts

. 13 Jul 2006 07:46 #61663

• JMKZHI
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 48
del

Last edit: by JMKZHI.
  • Page: