Need suggestions for a starter motor 81 KZ650

• agrestixrock
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
04 Apr 2018 19:50 #781301 by agrestixrock
Need suggestions for a starter motor 81 KZ650 was created by agrestixrock
So after trial and error i have determined that my starter motor has too much drag and is pulling the voltage way down so the IC Ignitor cannot opperate. i took it apart and replaced the brushes, but i think the magnets on the inside are bad because when i put the armature in there is no pull or do the wrapped coils around the magnets cause them to magnetize when it is being powered? it spins much more freely with the new brushes but still has a "chirp" when it is spun by hand. i also noticed that the entire main bearing just below the gear spins slowly when the starter motor is active. (the outer ring and the side cap) also the gasket that was in there is almost completely gone. i am having a hard time finding any parts for it besides the brushes. im thinking about getting gasket material and cutting my own but i dont know if it has to be perfect. once i get that gasket i can put grease in the bottom metal bushing and the two small gears just under the cap. i just dont want to try it and have the grease completely destroy this thing. any ideas? i can post pictures of the bearing, the small gears, and the trashed gasket if anyone needs a better idea of what im explaining. but seeing that the motor still spins i dont think anything major is wrong with it besides these issues, is it possible that without it being greased it would cause such a drag? maximum voltage i get is 9.5v and i was not able to get an amperage reading on it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
More
04 Apr 2018 22:02 #781309 by Scirocco
Replied by Scirocco on topic Need suggestions for a starter motor 81 KZ650
Can you please upload some pics of your starter motor parts, would help a lot more....

More
05 Apr 2018 05:01 #781314 by 650ed
How old is your battery? Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

• agrestixrock
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
05 Apr 2018 06:15 #781317 by agrestixrock
Replied by agrestixrock on topic Need suggestions for a starter motor 81 KZ650
I will upload pics soon and battery is maybe a month old

More
05 Apr 2018 07:18 - 05 Apr 2018 07:18 #781320 by JMKZHI
What type of battery is it, and if necessary, did you properly service & charge it before installing it on the motorcycle?
It should be load tested to make certain it is good. Even a new battery can be bad. it happens.
Last edit: 05 Apr 2018 07:18 by JMKZHI.

• agrestixrock
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
05 Apr 2018 09:24 #781325 by agrestixrock
i believe it is motorsport or something like that its the brand from advanced auto parts. i had an everstart from walmart but it didnt hold a charge after being inside all winter. got this one and had the guy there help me fill it, let it sit for the reccommended hour after filling then charged it with a trickle charger for 3 hours which is what the instructions said, it was on 2A. it holds a steady charge of 12.6v even just sitting a couple days.

• agrestixrock
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
05 Apr 2018 09:30 #781326 by agrestixrock

pictures: first is the bearing that spins completely, second the gears under the top cap just under the bearing, third the bad gasket, fourth the metal bushing just under the commutator, fifth is the magnets with the wraped coils around them

More
05 Apr 2018 13:21 #781332 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic Need suggestions for a starter motor 81 KZ650
www.stockers.com/index.php?oc=1

You can get a rebuilt starter for about $150 from Stockers. They also sell rebuild kits but if your magnets are shot that won't help.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 650ed, agrestixrock

• agrestixrock
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
05 Apr 2018 17:10 #781338 by agrestixrock
if it comes down to it i may just do that. i dont know how much i can trust ebay i did however notice today it gets hard to turn when i put the top on, that has the two gears that connect to the armature pictured above. both the armature and the top spin very freely when its not put together. but when i put it together it gets pretty hard to spin. i put grease on the parts just to see how it would effect the issue but it didnt seem to have much of a change. should the top bearing be pressed super tight to the pinion gear? i also noticed that it had a slight play in and out so i used a vice to tap the bearing in tight so there was no play

More
05 Apr 2018 18:08 #781339 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic Need suggestions for a starter motor 81 KZ650
I just finished cleaning/greasing the starter on my '81 750E and noticed a few things which may help you...

If you remove the two planetary gears and turn the output gear the plate holding the planet gears should spin smoothly. If they don't you have a problem with the nose bearing.

When the starter is assembled and you try to turn the output gear it will turn but with a fair bit of difficulty. This is normal because in effect you are turning the motor over using the output as the input against all the gear reduction of the planetary gear system.

The comutator, where the brushed contact on the rotor, should be smooth and clean. Use some fine sandpaper and clean the commutator before assembling the starter.

Use some good marine grease on the planets and in the bushings the rotor runs on. Don't use so much that it will splash out of course.

My starter is the four brush type and has different magnets than yours. I presume the magnets are stronger on mine but not positive, but what I noticed is that the rotor had no issue spinning in the magnetic field. The magnetics are not overly strong.

Not sure this helps but hope you get it sorted.

BTW, my starter had the classic "squack" noise when running but now seems quiet! I'm stoked about that and hope it stays that way.

• agrestixrock
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
07 Apr 2018 11:12 #781420 by agrestixrock
well i called the electric motor place here and he said that if it is the copper coils they wont be magnetized until it is powered. i used general aviation grease (i work on planes and they use it for bearings)in the bushings and the planets. definetly helped but been too cold to try it. going to the motorcycle store to see if the can make the gaskets or give me some material to cut my own

• agrestixrock
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
10 Apr 2018 19:18 #781641 by agrestixrock
okay im about to test this motor out again. i ran it down to the motorcycle clinic and showed them the gaskets in the starter motor and he said it didnt even show it had gaskets on his diagram he had. he said that most likely the gaskets were in there clearly to help keep the grease from seeping into places but also to insulate the power or ground from spreading to components it doesnt need to power, like the planet gear and pinion assembly. said it could be arcing to the planet gear plate which would be "energizing" the entire thing. he gave me some paper gasket material and i cut it to size to go on either side of the plate pictured above. right under that plate is the positive terminal which would make sense if it was arcing. i wont be surprised if this doesnt fix it but since it does spin much more freely now, i have to be getting close to the bottom of the electric drag. battery is getting topped off now and im about to grab my headlamp and give it a shot. wish me luck.