Need some Igntion system guidence on my 83 kz750 k1

More
15 Mar 2018 00:39 #780279 by sleeveless
Good evening all, thank you for having me. I just picked up an 83 kz750 k1. I've been checking the bike out and of course for sitting for 5 years it needs extensive work. The fist thing I need to tackle is the ignition system. I pulled the spark plugs wires off my plugs ( mistake) and my spark plug wires disintegrated. From my searching I have found that the coil is discontinued from Kawasaki which means the ignition system will need to be upgraded. Now I'm finding there were differences from the earlier models as compared to mine which leaves me with the question of what route should i take?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Mar 2018 05:23 - 15 Mar 2018 05:28 #780283 by JMKZHI
Disconnecting the spark plug wires wasn't a mistake. I would install new 7mm copper core spark plug wires & new correct properly gapped spark plugs. Then replace the ignition coil if necessary. The spark plug wires can be removed from the coil by unscrewing the ribbed compression nuts. Be sure to clean check & lubricate the timing advancer.
Last edit: 15 Mar 2018 05:28 by JMKZHI.

More
15 Mar 2018 07:40 #780296 by TexasKZ
Definitely not a mistake. Wires that brittle would have given you plenty of problems, and you would have to replace them anyway.

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

More
15 Mar 2018 08:52 #780302 by loudhvx
I think this is a twin. If it has electronic ignition, (83 would have) you need a 2.3 ohm to 3.0 ohm coil.

If you are certain the stock igniter and pickup is good, then a 2.3 to 2.6 ohm coil would be the best match for the stock system. 3.0 ohms would also work fine, but would be a requirement in case you convert it to a Dyna S ignition.

You can get factory-looking, 2.3~2.4 ohm coils on ebay relatively cheaply, at least last I checked about a year or so ago. But make sure the ohms are specified, and you will want to make sure the center-to-center distance on the mounting posts is the same.

More
15 Mar 2018 09:22 #780305 by sleeveless
Awesome. Yea I did pull out the manual and pulled the coil. I did not check the igniter yet. The coil is sitting at about 2.3 ohms on primary and 11.5k on secondary. I was led to believe the wires spin off the spark plug as also the coil. The bike definitely wasn't treated well with previous owner. As there was e tape holding the wire leads right to the plugs. But thank you for all of your inputs . Now with the 83 ignition system do I need suppression wires or will copper do just fine?

More
15 Mar 2018 09:25 #780306 by sleeveless
I will be removing the pick up coil and ic igniter to do a bench test. Ultimate goal for me this week is to have this ignition system sorted out and parts ordered

More
15 Mar 2018 11:23 #780316 by loudhvx
The original used suppression of some type. It can be the wires, the caps, or the plugs, but only one, never more than one type of suppression. I think some people go without any suppression. I always use suppression wire, with plain caps and plain plugs.

Don't put too much weight into simple ohm checks on the igniter. They can be off for various reasons. One is simply that meters nowadays are digital, rather than analog with mechanical pointers.

More
15 Mar 2018 11:31 #780317 by sleeveless
Fair enough I realize a voltage drop would be more sufficient than a resistance test . If the igniter is an issue in anyway than I'm assuming I would have to go to a dyna system

More
15 Mar 2018 16:41 #780326 by sleeveless
So i picked up some 7mm wiring from the local cycle center as well as the correct spark plugs and boots, was able to use old screws to the coil. In the mean time with waiting for my oil filter and gaskets to come in, Tomorrow i will be pulling the harness off the bike and carefully going through it to make sure there are no surprises. Thank you all for the input. It really helped me in the steps i have to take to get the bike back on the road.