1979 KZ650 B3 Coils and Points

More
14 Feb 2018 06:25 #778743 by airpolice
1979 KZ650 B3 Coils and Points was created by airpolice
Hi All, I am new to this forum but not new to Motorcycles. I apologize in advance if my post here is duplicate. I have been assisting my son who got a 1979 KZ650 B3 model in a trade. The bike is in really good condition for it's age but needs work. So far we have performed the following but still cannot get the engine to start
-Carb re-build.
-No spark, found coils to be bad(Checked with Ohm meter)
-Replaced Coils (Z1 Enterprises) non-Dyn-S
-We now have Spark(seems weak) but we have Spark
Looking at the Points we found them way out of the Gap tolerance. I re-gapped them last night and upon cranking the engine over one of them sparks quite a bit. Is this normal? I have no experience with Points and Condensers so any help with this, I am grateful.
Thanks!!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Feb 2018 07:58 - 14 Feb 2018 08:01 #778751 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic 1979 KZ650 B3 Coils and Points
It's hard to judge what you mean by a lot. Both sets of points should spark equally, and a little bit. If they are sparking vastly differently, then one set may be adjusted differently from the other. The dwell should be close to 180 degrees, so about when one set is opening, the other set is closing.

Condenser failure is not super common, but does happen. A bad condenser will cause excessive sparking at the points, and a weak to no spark at the plug. You could try to simply swap condenser wires and see if the sparking moves to the other set of points. If the wires are too short, that may be easier said than done.
Last edit: 14 Feb 2018 08:01 by loudhvx.

More
14 Feb 2018 08:12 #778752 by airpolice
Replied by airpolice on topic 1979 KZ650 B3 Coils and Points
Thanks for the reply loudhvx! You are right, it is hard to judge how much spark is coming from the point. I will try to swap the condenser wires tonight and see if the spark moves to the other side. Also going to double check gap as well. My son got new condensers when he got the bike from the previous owner so I could always change it out if we find it is bad. Thanks again!

More
15 Feb 2018 04:02 #778792 by airpolice
Replied by airpolice on topic 1979 KZ650 B3 Coils and Points
Success!!! Sort of. I double checked Points gap, adjusted again and then left my son to mount the tank etc. About 30 minutes later I heard a rumble coming from the garage. The KZ is back to life again! It's only running on 3 cylinders but at least it's running again. Going to check a few things tonight to see what may be causing the #3 cylinder to not run. I'm thinking simple things right now like spark, spark plug color and fuel first.