80 kz1000 dash lights

More
02 Jan 2018 10:23 - 02 Jan 2018 11:46 #776822 by Don R
Replied by Don R on topic 80 kz1000 dash lights
Thanks, I think the bad ground was the worst of it's problems, bulbs glowing, blinkers indicating in reverse. etc. I haven't worked on it much since it's been below zero. I've wired a couple cb750's this is close to the same but I was unfamiliar with the kawi indicator lights. Now it's down to reassembling the cleaned terminals with the new light harness and testing to see if anything needs more attention such as the oil and neutral lights.
The Z1 harness uses push in bulbs, they appear very bright, hopefully easily visible in the day but not distracting at night. The headlamp indicator that's not in the harness will go into the headlight bucket and I'll terminate it there to whatever I decide to hook it to. low beam maybe.
Last edit: 02 Jan 2018 11:46 by Don R.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Jan 2018 15:55 #777018 by Don R
The ground was the main issue, all of the lights are now back in and work, except the brake light for the front. The switch works and it's getting 12V (I know because I blew a fuse testing it) so I'm assuming it's a grounding issue as well. The rear works fine so I'll follow the diagram to see where the wires go. The fuse holder needs a good polish job or replacement with a blade fuse holder. O'Riley auto parts has a nice 4 in 4 out panel that works well on Hondas.
I haven't done anything with the tach mounted headlight indicator yet. I may just abandon it in place unless I have a wiring epiphany. The reserve unit is still in place and may be in working order.

More
13 Jan 2018 16:05 - 13 Jan 2018 16:06 #777258 by Don R
Done! I finished cleaning contacts, plugging wires in and everything is working as I assume is intended. The center dash lights all come on, the low brake light lights when I step on the brake, if I unplug the low beam the headlight comes on and the indicator in the tach lights up. I polished and contact cleaned the fuse holder and snapped a spare in the holder. I also took the light panel apart, cleaned the dust from between the lenses and glued it back together. Now I can read the words above the lights.
Thanks to those that replied and offered help. Now, I'm on to idler pulleys on my 78 Goldwing and then bolting the newly painted candy blue green tins on my late 69 build cb750 diecast. After that is the 82kz1100, I may also make an offer on a whole bike for this parts bike. Since my rule is to title and license only 3 bikes I have decisions to make.
Last edit: 13 Jan 2018 16:06 by Don R.

More
17 Jan 2018 18:17 #777373 by Don R
Oops, the front brake doesn't turn on the brake light. if I jumper the blue wire from the switch to the rear switch it works so there is an open in the blue wire somewhere in the harness between those two points. Since there's no plug between them my options are, open the bundle and follow the blue wire to the point of failure or just run a new blue wire and tape it into the harness. I'm thinking I'll follow it for a bit and see if I can repair it like new.

More
22 Jan 2018 19:56 - 22 Jan 2018 20:17 #777614 by Don R
Finally I got it all. There was an open in the red tail light wire in the harness near the coils, someone ran a new red wire to the ignition kill switch wire and tied in there. I repaired the break and reconnected the cut wires with bullet connectors to replace the taped wire nuts. The little piece of coal hanging from it's wires near the back of the coils is the brake light failure relay. It had an open wire too. now repaired. The lighting reserve unit is only for the headlight, when the low beam goes out it turns on the high beam through a resistor and lights the indicator in the tach face.
It took me long enough to learn all this, I guess I'm not good at using search but at least this bike works like it did new. Now it may finally come off the lift to make room for other projects. It's a shame it wasn't fixed by today, it was dry, the salt is washed away and the temp was in the mid 50's. Would have been a nice test ride day.
Out of all the posts I found, no one explained all of these light reserve devices, so if anyone in the future has a problem in this area. send me a PM. Thanks again, especially Hardrock miner. Don. PS has anyone else had trouble logging in here?
Last edit: 22 Jan 2018 20:17 by Don R.