1984 ZN700 shaft question?

More
08 Dec 2017 06:53 #775737 by lhemrick
1984 ZN700 shaft question? was created by lhemrick
I have a 84 ZN700 that I acquired (for free) that someone hacked the electrical system out of. Its a mess and the junction box is gone. With a wiring diagram I have rewired it to a point and got it running. My question is with the rectifier and regulator. I know the three yellow wires go to the stator, the black with the yellow stripe is a ground and the white goes to the switch and supplies power back to the battery if I'm correct. The brown with the white stripe also goes to the switch and to the junction box. Does anyone know what its purpose is?

Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Dec 2017 07:02 #775738 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic 1984 ZN700 shaft question?
That sounds like the R/R "sense" wire. It should be a switched hot wire. It provides a signal back to the R/R regarding the system voltage, which in turn affects how much the R/R charges the battery vs. shunts current back to the stator.

More
08 Dec 2017 07:58 #775746 by lhemrick
Replied by lhemrick on topic 1984 ZN700 shaft question?
Thanks! Do you have any idea how it connects or its route through the junction box? I see where it pics up power at the switch and goes to the regulator but after it goes to the box I'm unclear whats happening there. I just don't want to burn something up.

More
08 Dec 2017 09:08 #775747 by Nessism
I don't know what you mean by "junction box". My 750 has no such thing. You don't even need one. Just make sure everything is connected and the wires running where they should.

More
08 Dec 2017 10:22 #775749 by lhemrick
"Junction" is what Kawasaki calls the fuse relay box, which I don't have and I'm trying not to have to find one. Is it just as simple as running that brown/white wire to the power source that comes on when the switch it turned? Thanks so much for your time!

More
08 Dec 2017 11:45 #775753 by Nessism

lhemrick wrote: "Junction" is what Kawasaki calls the fuse relay box, which I don't have and I'm trying not to have to find one. Is it just as simple as running that brown/white wire to the power source that comes on when the switch it turned? Thanks so much for your time!

I think so. If you can post up a scan of the service manual pages for your bike's charging system, including a schematic, that would help us review.

More
08 Dec 2017 22:33 #775764 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic 1984 ZN700 shaft question?
The white wire is the rectifier output wire. It usually goes to the battery's positive post or to the post on the starter solenoid which connects to the battery.'s positive post. From there it goes to the main fuse.

Usually, the brown wire gets it's power from the main ignition switch. The brown wire may deliver power to many things on the bike. Among them is the sensing circuit of the regulator.

Like Ed said, a diagram would help a lot.

More
09 Dec 2017 11:09 #775771 by lhemrick
Thanks Guys. I did find a charging system diagram in my manual and got it wired. It works perfectly! Merry Christmas!

More
09 Dec 2017 11:18 #775772 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic 1984 ZN700 shaft question?
Just curious. What manual are you using? If you need the Kawasaki manual, search eebbaayy for KZ750 shaft manual & get one that covers thru at least 1984. There are several listed right now. at least one for pretty cheap.

More
09 Dec 2017 16:25 #775778 by lhemrick
Attachments:

More
27 Feb 2018 08:18 #779472 by lhemrick
New question! There is a green wire with a black stripe that is between the IC igniter and the junction or fuse box. Anyone know its purpose?

More
27 Feb 2018 09:08 - 27 Feb 2018 09:10 #779474 by JMKZHI
Replied by JMKZHI on topic 1984 ZN700 shaft question?
Do you have the stock junction box installed? You may need to post a good photo or scan of the wiring diagram.
The manual may have a schematic or drawing listed as Junction Box Internal Wiring diagram or something to that effect.
The chain drive manual does & it shows how the electrical connectors correspond to the various terminal pin locations.
Also, the junction box itself should have information on it.
Last edit: 27 Feb 2018 09:10 by JMKZHI.