Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Z550 problems 15 Nov 2017 18:09 #774655

• Chopperbobber
  • Chopperbobber's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Bought a new chopper z550 today rode her to my friends house but on the way home it started to bog down at low rpms kinda like it needed fuel so I put a full tank on it. Then went to my friends who had a ride of her and she cut out while sitting in traffic.

So I left there after the bike sat for 10 mins and less than a min leaving the bike bogged down when trying to set off. And took 5 mins to get her to run again she would turn over but not fire up kinda like she was flooded.

So managed to get her started and rode almost home without a problem but noticed if I opened it up it would bog down and almost die then all of a sudden wake up again kinda like hitting a nos button.

I've checked the spark plugs and they all look within a decent colour I have not checked the coils yet but I have a feeling it's one of them as if it was the carbs it would run bad from the word go.

Also where is the idle rpm screw as the bike is running pretty high with choke off and I wanna turn the idle down a bit Warrington, uk
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Chopperbobber.

Z550 problems 15 Nov 2017 18:30 #774658

• ajsfirehawk
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 89
If the spark plugs are lined out in order, #1, 3, and 4 look as though they may be on the lean side to my eye. Which suggests you have spark but your AFR may be lean. You may have unmetered air being sucked in. Stock airbox or pods on it? Take a very close look at the rubber carb holders at the intake side of the head. The high idle is consistent with an air leak. I'm not telling you that is the problem, but it is the first thing I'd check.
If you had coil/spark issues I would expect to see the spark plugs be darker due to the lack of firing.
79 KZ650 SR
80 KZ1000 Z1 Classic
83 KZ1100 LTD
Z900RS
23 Mach 1

Z550 problems 15 Nov 2017 18:38 #774659

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
  • Thank you received: 1895
Dependent to the bike build year the idle screw can be located in a different location.
Some pics of your bike and carb section will help a lot.

Attachments:

Last edit: by Scirocco.

Z550 problems 16 Nov 2017 01:32 #774668

• Chopperbobber
  • User
Hey guys thank you for your reply :D, im determined to get this right, the bike is running open cone filters which i personally think the bike is not ment to run them, i come out this morning to smell a very strong smell of fuel and noticed i had fuel coming out of the 1st carb closest to myself in the pick it was dribbling out of the the bottom connection like where you empty the bowl,

here is a pic of my bike and the carbs the bike is a 1980 650 frame but a 1980 550 engine but its not running on points so would make me believe its older than 1980 as they had points and condenser

Attachments:

Last edit: by Chopperbobber.

Z550 problems 16 Nov 2017 04:52 #774677

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2828
1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

Last edit: by 650ed.

Z550 problems 17 Nov 2017 12:33 #774703

• Chopperbobber
  • User
Hey guys so cleaned the carbs and everything and noticed who ever re-installed the carbs last time had not put them on properly at all, but then when cleaning on the 3rd carb somone had put some fuel line inside and then i realised why and this is why

Attachment not found

Attachment not found

so i can eaither use some form of chemical metal or try and find other carbs, what do you guys reckon ?

Z550 problems 17 Nov 2017 15:40 #774713

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
  • Thank you received: 1895
The cheap solution, try to clean the area around the broken part and glue it with JB weld or fuel resistant tank sealer.
The best and more expensive solution is a good used set of carbs at the common market places like E-Bay.

Last edit: by Scirocco.

Z550 problems 18 Nov 2017 10:35 #774748

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
In the U.S., the 1980 Kz550's came with points on the standard A model, but the Ltd. C model came with electronic ignition.

The Tk22 carbs can run well with pods or even no filters as long as it's jetted properly.

It seems you have some more important issues on those carbs though. I can't see the recent photos right now, so I'm not sure what's broke, but if it's the brass stand-pipe inside the bowl, some people have fixed it by sleeving some heatshrink over the cracked pipe.

Last edit: by loudhvx.

Z550 problems 18 Nov 2017 17:19 #774776

• ajsfirehawk
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 89
Haven't seen anyone mention this but if you have fuel coming out the intake cone the fuel float height is set incorrectly or you have some issue with the fuel needle valve. Either way you need to open up that carb to check it properly.
Just FYI: Carbs count from left to right as you are sitting on the bike. #1 on the left and #4 on the right.
79 KZ650 SR
80 KZ1000 Z1 Classic
83 KZ1100 LTD
Z900RS
23 Mach 1

Z550 problems 20 Nov 2017 10:09 #774822

• Chopperbobber
  • User
thanks for the help guys this seems to be a ltd engine as its running electronic ignition. and on the carbs it says ltd its the tk22 carbs
i was wondering can colour tune be used on these engines ?

Attachments:

Z550 problems 20 Nov 2017 10:58 #774823

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
Lot of problems there...

One, the bowl vents appear to be capped off. That will cause a fuel flow issue.

That jet holder seems to have some home-brew seal. Are the threads messed up in the carb? If so, you can probably get a tap for the body.

It needs the proper oring.

That pilot jet head looks pretty worn from maintenance, but it should work as long as it's clean or can be cleaned.

Here's a TK22 website for some info not found in the manuals.
s3.amazonaws.com/gpzweb/TK22mainPage/TK22mainPage.html

Last edit: by loudhvx.

Z550 problems 20 Nov 2017 12:26 #774827

• Chopperbobber
  • User
thank you for that loudhvx. the jet holder is snapped off but the threads are fine i was wondering if i used JB weld if i could glue it back on ?,

i have just took a few more pics i put a bit of wire inside the bowl vents to make sure it was cleaned out, i cleaned the main jet out with compressed air.
Attachments:

• Page: