Help!! kz1000 Electrical Gremlin??

More
11 Nov 2017 19:22 #774471 by Drooz
Help!! kz1000 Electrical Gremlin?? was created by Drooz
Hey Guys, my kz1000 has developed an intermittent problem that for the life of me, seems to be electrical in nature... but :unsure:

The bike starts and runs just fine when cold. With a normal warm-up, I take off and after about 6 - 8 blocks of riding it feels like it suddenly begins to miss on one cylinder. Basically, I nurse it home and after checking plugs, cleaning and cooling down, I repeat with the same result. The #1 plug seemed to be a little blacker than the rest, but not alarmingly so.

My suspicion is that there's a problem in the wiring with an overheating connection in the harness. I've had similar intermittent problems with my old '74 Kawi h2 Triple and with my much newer '05 zx10r Ninja. Both ended up having bad connections under the seat.

The onset of winter this week will likely prevent me from getting very deep into this issue any time soon, but I'd love to know if anybody has faced anything like this with their kz?

Thank you! I appreciate anything you might have to contribute here. :cheer:

'77 kz1000 (zx10r) Modified/Street
'81 GPz550 "TrackBike"
'05 zx10r Retro/Mod Sportbike 4 SALE!!
'02 zrx1200r Lightly Modified Street SOLD!!
'74 h2b 750 (FZ600) "Mongrel" 2 Stroke SOLD!!

"Invictus Maneo" - I remain unvanquished.

Kawasaki - Let The Good Times Roll!

Mississauga, Ontario. CANADA

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Nov 2017 06:01 #774486 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Help!! kz1000 Electrical Gremlin??
If not already done, would perform clear tube tests to ascertain whether fuel levels are within specs.

A too high fuel level is expected to produce an overly rich mixture from an otherwise perfect carb.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
The following user(s) said Thank You: Drooz

More
12 Nov 2017 08:04 - 12 Nov 2017 17:14 #774495 by JR
Replied by JR on topic Help!! kz1000 Electrical Gremlin??
If you suspect the misfire is just one cylinder then the plug, plug cap and HT lead might be worth checking out. A few years back I had a misfire and found I had a faulty plug cap. Resistance between one end of the plug cap and the other was infinity. I replaced all caps with new ones but decided to dissect the problem one for interest sake. Below is a pic of the internals plus the silver thingy which fits the spark plug top. Funny thing thing is that the resistor (red white and black thingy) measured 5k ohm (which it should) when out in the open but I had no reading when everything was together.

Your problem might even be solved by something as simple as trimming the HT lead by 1/4 inch and re inserting the cap in the HT lead

Power for the coils comes from the right side handle bar switch and joins the main harness via a 4 pin (at least it does on my 750) connector under the tank. These connectors get brittle from the heat and I had one crumble and the bike died. If your problem is here then I would think both coils and all cylinders would be effected but you never know until you look.

Just a couple of suggestion to keep you occupied over the winter

1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust
Attachments:
Last edit: 12 Nov 2017 17:14 by JR.

More
12 Nov 2017 20:19 #774530 by Drooz
Replied by Drooz on topic Help!! kz1000 Electrical Gremlin??
Hey, I appreciate the feedback guys! :)

Further to this issue, the bike ran great last year and for the first few weeks this season too. Nothing else was changed or adjusted prior to this suspected 'misfire' issue. :huh:

I'll check these suggestions a soon as I can get back to it. :cheer:

'77 kz1000 (zx10r) Modified/Street
'81 GPz550 "TrackBike"
'05 zx10r Retro/Mod Sportbike 4 SALE!!
'02 zrx1200r Lightly Modified Street SOLD!!
'74 h2b 750 (FZ600) "Mongrel" 2 Stroke SOLD!!

"Invictus Maneo" - I remain unvanquished.

Kawasaki - Let The Good Times Roll!

Mississauga, Ontario. CANADA

More
13 Nov 2017 06:06 #774537 by Jussumguy
Replied by Jussumguy on topic Help!! kz1000 Electrical Gremlin??
I had a weird miss a while back. I would remove the tank and carbs and adjust everything right to spec and would run fine. After I put the tank back on and ride for a while the miss would return
. Turned out it was the vacuum Petcock. The diaphragm had a leak. It is connected to #2 cylinder though