Need some help

More
24 Oct 2017 08:42 #773630 by 78KZkid
Need some help was created by 78KZkid
Wondering if this will work

(Sorry for the mirror image)

1978 kz650
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Oct 2017 09:04 - 24 Oct 2017 09:07 #773631 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Need some help
The capacitor will work if it's the right size, type, and rating. But the ignition you have drawn will not work. You show no way for pickups to run the ignition. At the very least it would need a ground. If the pickups are points, and the points are grounded through the engine, it could work. If it's electronic, the pickup/igniter unit needs power.

And it would be a much better practice to run ground wires for the regulator/capacitor/ignition rather than relying on the frame and engine for ground. Points can use the engine as ground, but anything electronic does better with dedicated ground wires (in addition to grounding the engine and frame).
Last edit: 24 Oct 2017 09:07 by loudhvx.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 78KZkid

More
24 Oct 2017 11:02 #773642 by 78KZkid
Replied by 78KZkid on topic Need some help
Thanks loud,

There are only 3 wires inside the ignition cover, green and black for the points and blue/red for the oil pressure switch.

1978 kz650

More
24 Oct 2017 12:55 - 24 Oct 2017 12:55 #773652 by loudhvx

78KZkid wrote: Thanks loud,

There are only 3 wires inside the ignition cover, green and black for the points and blue/red for the oil pressure switch.

Ok, so you don't have pickups, you have points. you should probably label that as "breaker points" to avoid confusion. You should also show a ground symbol to show that the breaker points are connected to ground. Then it is important to have a ground wire, somewhere from the capacitor's negative terminal to the engine and frame ground.

You should also run a dedicated wire from the regulator ground to the capacitor's negative terminal.

Be aware, you will not be able to start the bike with headlights on. You have to start the bike, then rev it, then turn on the lights while the engine RPMs are high. Turning the lights on causes a brief short while the filaments heat up. The engine RPMs will drop during this time, and when the filaments light up, the voltage will return to resume running the bike.
Last edit: 24 Oct 2017 12:55 by loudhvx.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 78KZkid

More
24 Oct 2017 14:23 #773660 by 78KZkid
Ok and how should I wire the switches?
Can I wire them as I have them drawn

1978 kz650

More
24 Oct 2017 22:07 #773687 by loudhvx

78KZkid wrote: Ok and how should I wire the switches?
Can I wire them as I have them drawn

Yes.

More
25 Oct 2017 12:38 #773716 by 78KZkid
Well I had everything wired as drawn a few days ago and I was getting spark. Now I have nothing so I hope I didn't cook something.

1978 kz650

More
26 Oct 2017 06:56 #773757 by 78KZkid
-stator 2 yellow
-points green, black and blue/red (oil pressuse)
-reg/rec 2 yellow, white/red and black
-dyna 3 ohm coils

No starter/ relay, kick only

Im so bad with electrical as far as knowing what readings i should be seeing on a meter, if anyone could give me a few test to do so I could check why im not getting spark. At this point im thinking about getting to dyna s ignition because it seems to be pretty straight forward and it's not expensive. Any help is appreciated, thanks in advance.

1978 kz650

More
26 Oct 2017 09:05 - 26 Oct 2017 09:32 #773765 by loudhvx
The Dyna S might not work without a battery. It causes a lot more average current to flow through the coils and you might not be able to produce enough power while kicking to start the bike. Also, at idle the voltage might be a little low, which the Dyna S might not like. The points are more efficient.

However, points might wear faster with the 3-ohm coils. Normally points should use 4 or 5 ohm coils.
But it should work for a least a while.

Because you don't have a voltage source when the motor is not running, you can set up points with an ohm meter, instead of a volt meter. The key is to put a piece of paper in the set of points you are not adjusting.

Or you can just disconnect the black and green wires at the coils. Even with a battery, this is a better way to set up points so the coils don't get hot, and you leave the bike turned off.

With the ohm meter, you will have continuity to ground when the points are closed, and no continuity when they are open. They should open when the "f" mark lines up.

Continuity is with the meter set to lowest ohm scale, and it should read near zero. Open is when the meter reads the same as when the meter is not connected. The screen may just show a "1" in the far left digit, or something odd to show there is infinite resistance.

You measure from where the coil wire connects to the points and the engine ground.

Ed or Patton or Martin probably have good images of what the 650 points should look like.

You can ignore the oil pressure light if you are not going to use it.

You don't have anything else connected, except what you show in the first diagram, correct? If you added lights, that could explain the no spark.
Last edit: 26 Oct 2017 09:32 by loudhvx.