"Radio Shack" rectifier upgrade for a 79 KZ400?

More
16 Sep 2017 16:47 #771051 by Stockton350
HI - I was wondering if anyone has upgraded their rectifier with the Radio Shack unit:

www.amazon.com/RadioShack-25A-Full-Wave-...+full+wave+rectifier

I burned out my rectifier and am wondering if I can swap this one in. Any suggestions/caveats?

1975 CB125 | tinyurl.com/jds9l7q
1976 CB350
1978 KZ200 | tinyurl.com/j3odxo8

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Sep 2017 18:05 #771060 by Nessism
Does your bike use a common 3 phase generator? If so, I'd get a SH775 and be done with it. I posted links just the other day where there were good cheap units available on ebay.

More
17 Sep 2017 20:22 - 17 Sep 2017 20:28 #771129 by loudhvx
Unlike the big Kz's, the Kz400 only had separate regulator and rectifier with excited field alternator. So separate reg and rec indicate that it is not a permanent magnet alternator.

If the bike has a separate regulator and rectifier, you can use the radio shack rectifier, but there are more powerful ones available, and probably cheaper on Ebay. If you have a 3-phase alternator, you will probably want 3 of those bridge rectifiers. And again, there is probably a cheaper, single 3-phase rectifier available on ebay.

If your regulator and rectifier came as a single unit, then the separate rectifier would be redundant. You would still need the regulator, which would have a rectifier built in.

If your alternator is 3-phase, and originally came with a single reg/rec combo, you can use the one Nessism suggested, or similar ones from modern Ninjas for around $10 or $20.

If your alternator is single phase (two wires) and originally came with a single reg/rec combo, then you will need to find a similar unit. There is a chance you can use a 3-phase unit and leave one of the reg/rec phases unconnected.

Here's the 3-phase version wiring for just the rectifier, but there are probably simpler cheaper options on ebay.:
s3.amazonaws.com/gpzweb/RegRec/GPZdiy3phaseRectifier.html
Last edit: 17 Sep 2017 20:28 by loudhvx.