75' KZ 400 LED Signal Lights issue

More
06 Sep 2017 05:56 #770443 by adelucia75
75' KZ 400 LED Signal Lights issue was created by adelucia75
As I've said in my last post, I've added a new LED light strip to the back of my bike, and more recently, two LED turn signals to the front. I just wired everything in and they all get power and turn on. Brake light and running light both work as they should, unfortunately, when the turn signals are activated (either right or left), all the turn signals come on, even the rear and flash at once (like hazard lights). I understand that LED lights only work one way, and yes, I have upgraded my flasher relay to a new LED flasher. I'm just looking for a quick fix to get these damn signals working so I can confidently ride my bike again without having to use my hands for signals. PLEASE someone give me a fix in SIMPLE terms lol. Thanks again!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Sep 2017 06:26 #770446 by diggerdanh
Replied by diggerdanh on topic 75' KZ 400 LED Signal Lights issue
I had the same thing happen when I was simplifying the wiring of my 78 KZ400. I went with LED turn signals but an old style tail/brake light and a new electronic flasher. At first everything worked fine but then after moving some wiring around I got all four turn signals flashing at the same time. I found that I had swapped the wires to the new flasher around. Once I swapped them back everything worked as it should. I'm sure it has something to do with the polarity of the LEDs. I believe they are orange and brown wires but I could be wrong. One other thing to consider, I know the 76 KZ400 had one but not sure about the 75, is the turn signal warning buzzer/alarm. That may be affecting the circuit and is pretty simple to remove.

More
06 Sep 2017 08:22 #770451 by adelucia75
Replied by adelucia75 on topic 75' KZ 400 LED Signal Lights issue
I'll try switching the flasher wires around but I think its the signal warning like you've mentioned. Could you describe how to remove the signal warning alarm?

More
06 Sep 2017 20:15 #770495 by gumby prichard
Replied by gumby prichard on topic 75' KZ 400 LED Signal Lights issue
Do you have a led turn signal relay? With led's they use such little voltage it can transfer through the ground from what in told which causes them all to go on or sometimes a switch will turn the wrong light on even though it's wired correctly. Also make sure you have the positives and negatives hooked up correctly. The led signal relay acts as a resistor to slow and reduce the voltage.

Get an led turn signal relay (two prong for pre 80 kz's)
Check all your wiring
Make sure your battery is properly charged and the bike is running then test all the lights while it's running.

78 kz750 twin
77 yz125
91 cr250
99 dr650

ex's:
78 kz400 b1
89 yz80
99 klx300

More
07 Sep 2017 07:23 - 07 Sep 2017 07:23 #770519 by diggerdanh
Replied by diggerdanh on topic 75' KZ 400 LED Signal Lights issue
If I remember correctly (just looked at the wiring diagram to confirm) it should be as simple as just disconnecting it. The little buzzer should be located somewhere in the front fork area around the headlight and will have an orange and a brown wire running to it. For future reference, should you decide to use a different set of gauges or a digital dashboard, that one orange wire can be used as the turn signal indicator lead for the gauges/dashboard.
Last edit: 07 Sep 2017 07:23 by diggerdanh.