83 KZ550 quit charging

More
10 Aug 2017 20:14 #768766 by jdvorchak
83 KZ550 quit charging was created by jdvorchak
I am getting my 83 KZ550 running in preparation to putting it on the road and ridding this amazing bike. Just after I synced the carbs I decided to check lights, turn signals and charging health. Ok that didn't go well. Not charging so I started tracing wires and came to the 6 pin white stator/regulator connector. Didn't look bad from the outside but when trying to un-mate the connector the white/red wire popped off! That is the 12v regulated to the battery for charging. The male connector completed disintegrated. Well about $6 and 2 days late and a new connector from Vintage Connections showed up in the male.

Connector from the outside. It doesn't look that bad:

[img
IMG_1534 by John Dvorchak , on Flickr

But look at this!:
[img
IMG_1532 by John Dvorchak , on Flickr

I guess the moral of this story is don't just look at the outside. Every year or so take the electrical connectors apart and clean them with Electrical Contact cleaner and a little Dialectic grease won't hurt either.

Don't fix it until it's broken.
John

83 KZ550M1
83 KZ1100LTD

Also own:
2010 Harley Ultra Classic Limited, 2008 Harley low rider 71 CB350/sidecar

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Aug 2017 07:14 #768783 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic 83 KZ550 quit charging
Dielectric grease is not conductive. If it wicks into the metal contact area, it can cause overheating on the contacts. This is the type of problem a relay can bypass and mask for awhile. But the problem doesn't go away, it just gets worse slowly.

Nice job finding the problem. Hope it all goes together nicely.

More
11 Aug 2017 08:38 - 01 Sep 2017 06:09 #768788 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic 83 KZ550 quit charging
That connector gets particularly dirty because of the rear wheel & chain.
When I replaced my voltage regulator, Same as you, I installed a new connector & also a large connector cover from cycleterminal.com. the old connector crumbled.
Last edit: 01 Sep 2017 06:09 by martin_csr.

More
11 Aug 2017 15:41 - 11 Aug 2017 15:44 #768819 by jdvorchak
Replied by jdvorchak on topic 83 KZ550 quit charging
It went together nicely and I defy you to tell it from OEM. I really like the Vintage Connections stuff and Del's service. The Dielectric grease is only used on the outside of the connector to help protect where the wires go into the plug housing. I did not put dielectric grease on these connectors but when I mentioned it's use, I was thinking about the sliding parts of the connector for lubrication and some weather proofing, I have used it on the mating sides of the connectors to make them easier to separate and/or keep from freeze together. Thinking more about the next guy who have to take that apart.....20 years from now!

Charging and running is fine. Now I'm working on fuel delivery. Petcock, new fuel lines, fuel filter and new vacuum hoses, etc.

Don't fix it until it's broken.
John

83 KZ550M1
83 KZ1100LTD

Also own:
2010 Harley Ultra Classic Limited, 2008 Harley low rider 71 CB350/sidecar
Last edit: 11 Aug 2017 15:44 by jdvorchak.