78 KZ1000 front signals

More
09 Aug 2017 18:33 #768663 by allfixed
78 KZ1000 front signals was created by allfixed
my front signals blink slow,dim and independently from the rear when the headlight is on, they blink bright and at the same time as the rear when the headlight is off. has the headlight on off switch on the rt handlebar.
ive unplugged and replugged and cleaned all the ground connections in the bucket and replaced both bulbs and checked the sockets and replaced both flashers.

Milwaukee wi.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Aug 2017 18:40 #768664 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic 78 KZ1000 front signals
That may be a sign of a slightly weak battery or charging system or simply a less than perfect flasher. I had a similar problem and I solved it very easily. I replaced the original flasher unit with an electronic unit. I put in a Tridon/Stant 552 2 prong, and it was a perfect fit. I bought it at an auto parts store. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
09 Aug 2017 18:56 #768665 by allfixed
Replied by allfixed on topic 78 KZ1000 front signals
charging system is good new battery and new flashers from auto store still has the issue

Milwaukee wi.

More
10 Aug 2017 14:37 #768750 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic 78 KZ1000 front signals
A lot of flashers are plain junk and/or just don't work for some reason. Get something like Ed mentioned, or at least get a "heavy duty" flasher made for towing trailers. Standard flashers are no good. Also go somewhere decent like Napa, not Autozone ect.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

More
10 Aug 2017 16:29 #768757 by GregZ
Replied by GregZ on topic 78 KZ1000 front signals
Every bike that goes thru my shed get a new flasher, it solves a lot of indicator problems. That and proper ground

More
10 Aug 2017 19:05 - 10 Aug 2017 20:16 #768762 by allfixed
Thanks for the reply, exactly what i have, a napa heavy duty,
Flashes fine with headlight off as mentioned, headlight on flashes dim, slow and independent from the rear, and rear is bright flashing..

Milwaukee wi.
Last edit: 10 Aug 2017 20:16 by allfixed.

• DOHC
  • Sustaining Member
  • Those Doe-Hawks really go!
More
11 Aug 2017 21:43 #768831 by DOHC
Replied by DOHC on topic 78 KZ1000 front signals

allfixed wrote: my front signals blink slow,dim and independently from the rear when the headlight is on, they blink bright and at the same time as the rear when the headlight is off..

Just to make sure I'm looking at the correct diagram, do you have a '78 KZ1000 A2? Or is it an A2A, B2, C2, D1? I think that's a KZ650 in your profile picture, but I might be wrong...

I've been staring at the wiring diagram for the A2 for about 20 minutes now. I'm a bit stumped.

My only guess is that you have a ground fault somewhere, and the dual filament bulbs in the front turn signals are providing an alternate/incorrect current path. The idea would be that the current for the front turn-signal filament doesn't return to ground in the bucket, but flows through the running-light filament to somewhere else. When the headlight is off it would flow back into the rest of the bulbs in the running light system, which is sort of like ground when the headlight switch is off. When the headlight is on the running-light circuit is near battery voltage, but it may not be full battery as you'll lose some voltage across those old switches. So the blinker may light up a bit, but not much. As for the out-of-sync blinking between the front and rear, I can't make any sense of that...

Here's my recommendation for a thing to test.

1) Unplug the running light wires for the front two turn signals in the headlight bucket. The wires should be blue on both sides (if it's an A2). With the blue wires unplugged, there is no alternate current path for the front turn signal filament.

2) Unplug the hazard flasher. It's probably not the problem, but if it's not installed it can't confuse the issue. The hazard relay and turn relay pull from the same feed wire, so removing the hazard relay removes a possible incorrect current path and a possible source for out-of-sync blinking.

Oh, one other thing. Is the headlight nice and bright when you turn it on?

Another possible thing to try is to remove both turn relay and hazard relay and short across the turn relay. One would expect both the front and rear turn signals to light up full when the handlebar turn-signal switch is toggled.

'78 Z1-R in blue , '78 Z1-R in black, '78 Z1-R in pieces
My dad's '74 Z1
'00 ZRX1100

More
12 Aug 2017 04:12 - 12 Aug 2017 04:35 #768832 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic 78 KZ1000 front signals
Many auto parts stores carry Novita flashers. made in USA. get an electronic flasher, not thermal. I know of at least on guy who opted for a cheap chinese part, instead of the suggested Novita brand, but the new china part didn't work. big surprise.
Last edit: 12 Aug 2017 04:35 by martin_csr.

More
12 Aug 2017 05:44 #768837 by allfixed
Thanks for the reply!
that is a 77 kz650 in my avitar.
the bike in question is a 78 KZ1000a and i too have been looking at the wiring diagram in my FSM for some time and as ive mentioned, i too believe it is a bleed through or bad ground but where? also the turn indicators in the cluster show a dim glow when headlight is on and signals arent activated? nothing with headlight off? seems like something in the running circuit but they use the same ground? i will unplug the blue wires and check back asap.. thanks for the help..

Milwaukee wi.

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
More
12 Aug 2017 06:34 - 12 Aug 2017 06:42 #768838 by Scirocco
Replied by Scirocco on topic 78 KZ1000 front signals
Try to make a temporary ground cable form battery/engine/frame ground to the front signals ground connector.
if its cure your problem something in the main wiring harness or connector have a bad electric current flow.
The electric current try to get over other electric components to the ground like:

the turn indicators in the cluster show a dim glow when headlight is on and signals arent activated?

Last edit: 12 Aug 2017 06:42 by Scirocco.

More
12 Aug 2017 10:26 #768858 by allfixed
ok ive done the ground from battery jumper no change, unplugged both blue running light wires and nothing comes on with them unplugged no signals no running lights so thats as far as ive gotten so far and the flasher is a heavy duty Digital from napa the flasher is not the issue..

Milwaukee wi.

• DOHC
  • Sustaining Member
  • Those Doe-Hawks really go!
More
12 Aug 2017 10:50 #768859 by DOHC
Replied by DOHC on topic 78 KZ1000 front signals
So since the blinkers don't light at all with the blue wires disconnected, it's pretty certain you have a ground issue. Do you have an ohm meter? You'll need to test every point along the way from the bulb socket to the battery ground.

But I'd start with the simplest test. Connect a wire from the shell of the bulb socket straight to battery ground. Until you can get that to work, there is no reason to trace the ground path.

'78 Z1-R in blue , '78 Z1-R in black, '78 Z1-R in pieces
My dad's '74 Z1
'00 ZRX1100
The following user(s) said Thank You: allfixed