81 Spectre 750 coil replacements

• jenningsjesse
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
28 Jul 2017 18:59 #767915 by jenningsjesse
Replied by jenningsjesse on topic 81 Spectre 750 coil replacements
I did find the forum on here about installing the Dyna coils. I will look before asking from here out. :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Jul 2017 03:39 - 30 Jul 2017 06:12 #767932 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic 81 Spectre 750 coil replacements
By jenningsjesse: ,Awesome. Ill just use the Dyna 3 ohm, they come with new wires for $125 anyways. Thanks guys.

I don't think spark plug wires are usually included with the Dyna coils.
To save money those eb coils in that other topic are an option.
The Kawasaki electronic ignition is very good. replacing the coils is kind of common as they are electrically stressed.
The other components are fairly durable.

ps: earlier you mentioned points. The 750 Spectre should have electronic ignition.
Last edit: 30 Jul 2017 06:12 by martin_csr.

• jenningsjesse
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
29 Jul 2017 04:11 #767934 by jenningsjesse
It does have electronic ignition, don't know why I said points. I will stick with stock ignition, and get the stock replacement coils, and new ngk caps. Should be good with those. Image of what I will be ordering and using. And on eBay, they do sell the Dyna coils with new wires/caps all in one.
Attachments:

More
29 Jul 2017 06:37 - 30 Jul 2017 06:11 #767938 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic 81 Spectre 750 coil replacements
It's been a while since I searched eb for Dyna coils, but I now see that some sellers include the spark plug wires.
With those stock looking eb coils you can probably use bulk plug wires from the auto parts store & if necessary re-use the stock sheathing. for a good, tight fit.

Alt park plug wires. someone here on KZR used Omni Spark brand 7mm copper core from the auto parts store, which come with HEI boots that slip over the Dyna coil towers. inexpensive solution. he used zip ties to secure them to the coils. I don't know how they'd work with the eb coils; probably get bulk plug wire for those.
Last edit: 30 Jul 2017 06:11 by martin_csr.

• jenningsjesse
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
29 Jul 2017 06:59 #767940 by jenningsjesse
The stock looking coils I'll be ordering, have wires with them also, hoping they will be a good fit for the NGK resistor caps I'm going to get also. If it's not a tight fit, I'll try good solid copper core wire from the auto parts store. I do know only one component can be of the resistor type. In which the NGK caps are, and plugs are not, wires should be non resistor type with said coils. I sent them a question if the wire are resistor or non. Heard the Dyna s sometimes break down due to heat, and moisture, so that, on top of having to remount,etc,etc. Think stock type coils will work just fine, especially being the right ohms.

More
29 Jul 2017 11:48 - 29 Jul 2017 11:49 #767942 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic 81 Spectre 750 coil replacements
Why do you want to change the coils anyway? The stock coils Kawasaki speced are high quality and reliable. They are selected to get along with the stock ignition too (which is also reliable).

Unless you know for a fact that the stock coils are bad I'd leave them alone and work to just replace the wires. 7mm copper core HT ignition lead only costs a couple bucks per foot. And add some fresh plug caps at the same time. That's what I did for my 750 anyway.

Edit: and I'm pretty sure there was no 1981 model year Spectre.
Last edit: 29 Jul 2017 11:49 by Nessism.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jenningsjesse

• jenningsjesse
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
29 Jul 2017 20:27 - 29 Jul 2017 22:19 #767956 by jenningsjesse
Replied by jenningsjesse on topic 82 Spectre 750 coil replacements
I just had a 81 Ltd 750 last summer I sold. Dang old blondes anyways. Ill try to edit title to 82 if I can. Forgetful sometimes. Anyways, I just thought of that tonight and had a feeling my coils are good, etc., leave well enough alone besides wires and caps. Definitely thank you for knowing exactly what to say, and attention to detail. Ill get the wire you suggested. All cylinders are burning even now, cleaned pilots again, and re synced. Runs great, other than a louder tick than wanted from plug caps.
Attachments:
Last edit: 29 Jul 2017 22:19 by jenningsjesse. Reason: Year mistake

• jenningsjesse
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
29 Jul 2017 22:19 #767959 by jenningsjesse
Replied by jenningsjesse on topic 82 Spectre 750 coil replacements

jenningsjesse wrote: Wondering what coils, wire, and cap set to get new for my 81 Spectre 750. OEM part numbers for just the coils are 21121-1027 and 21121-1028. Thinking they are 2 ohm coils. EBay sells 4 ohm set of Emgos but think they don't work because of ohm differences.