Is an LED conversion worth it?

• tv_cafewannabe
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
13 Jul 2017 11:23 #766850 by tv_cafewannabe
Is an LED conversion worth it? was created by tv_cafewannabe
Getting to the point in my cafe build (82 KZ750M) where I'm making some electrical decisions. Is it worth doing an LED conversion (headlight and marker lights)? I'm sticking with the factory airbox and so I can go with a more traditional AGM battery since I'm covering the sides. I just don't know if LED is really worth any of the extra hassle to try save on the electrical loading if I'm not going to a lithium battery. What do you think?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Jul 2017 11:59 #766852 by ajsfirehawk
Replied by ajsfirehawk on topic Is an LED conversion worth it?
Yes on the marker lights. Lower load and longer life. Plus they light up faster and brighter to get you an extra 1/2 second for a driver to see you and react. I don't have first hand experience with the LED headlights.

79 KZ650 SR
80 KZ1000 Z1 Classic
83 KZ1100 LTD
Z900RS
23 Mach 1
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1

More
14 Jul 2017 11:31 - 14 Jul 2017 11:34 #766935 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Is an LED conversion worth it?
If you stick with the stock regulator/rectifier unit, you won't gain a lot of advantage in loading of the crankshaft, and you might be forcing the stator and reg/rec to run hotter since it will have to shunt away the extra current.

If you do that mod, and you don't add any other electrical load, in order to run the reg/rec and stator cooler, and gain that crank power advantage, you will need to get a series-pass regulator rectifier (not just any mosfet reg/rec, it has to be series-pass).
Ed, (Nessism) has the details. You can probably find his details in most any recent regulator threads.
Last edit: 14 Jul 2017 11:34 by loudhvx.