kz750-s1 ignition wiring

More
17 Jun 2017 10:11 #764583 by kzswe
kz750-s1 ignition wiring was created by kzswe
Hello!

First time posting here and i pray you guys han help me out.

My bike is a 1982 kz750-s1.

Im struggling with the ignition wiring, its all been working until recently it began acting up a week ago.
At first the lights didnt come on with the key in "ON" position. Winkers, brake light and ignition Work fine.
With key in "PARK" the lights work fine so i figured the problem must be with the wiring in the ignition lock.

I started poking arround trying to figure out how it work and now i somehow seem to have the park setting both when the key is "ON" and "PARK"..

Ive tried looking at some diagrams but its pretty confusing.
Im a newb to the electrics and its my first bike so any pointers on how to get out ut this mess would be greatly appriciated!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Jun 2017 10:58 #764585 by kzswe
Replied by kzswe on topic kz750-s1 ignition wiring
Truly a newb, switched all fuses and now it seem to be working again.

More
17 Jun 2017 15:53 - 17 Jun 2017 16:07 #764606 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic kz750-s1 ignition wiring
By switched the fuses, do you mean installed new? If this solved the problem, for curiosity's sake something you can do is to check the old fuses with a meter. Sometimes a glass fuse can look good, but it can still be bad as the filament can separate from an end cap.

ps: 750-s1?
Last edit: 17 Jun 2017 16:07 by martin_csr.
The following user(s) said Thank You: loudhvx

More
19 Jun 2017 03:25 #764747 by kzswe

martin_csr wrote: By switched the fuses, do you mean installed new? If this solved the problem, for curiosity's sake something you can do is to check the old fuses with a meter. Sometimes a glass fuse can look good, but it can still be bad as the filament can separate from an end cap.

ps: 750-s1?

Yea i replaced all 3 with new ones, sorry bout the bad english.
I threw them away alredy so i cant measure them.
Didnt think of it since all lights worked while in "park", which i still find abit strange!
probably blew the mainfuse while poking arround causing it togo black, Good thing or it mightve taken alot longer for me to go for the fuses.

Kz750-s1 ! I dont understand the question

More
19 Jun 2017 05:00 #764750 by martin_csr
There wasn't a 750-s1. not in the USA anyway. If it's an 82 Twin, I'm guessing it's a 750-M1 CSR, but that is just a guess.

I would have wanted to test the old fuses to make sure the problem was as simple as a bad fuse.
As for the strange lighting issue, I'm not sure which lights weren't working, since you listed a few that were fine.
You may have noticed that the fuse box was embossed with MAIN, HEAD & TAIL. HEAD = headlight & TAIL = tail light.

More
19 Jun 2017 05:38 #764753 by kzswe
Ahh, well its called kz750s1 and its a twin LTD.
Its not a US bike, Could it be so simple that S = Sweden?

ALL lamps was working, just not when supposed to, thats what made me so sure the "ignition" wiring was responsible.
Still not sure how the fuse replacement fixed ut, just know its working great now.

Figured dont Wake a sleeping bear so i just put it back together again once it sas working.

More
19 Jun 2017 06:15 - 19 Jun 2017 06:16 #764757 by martin_csr
Ahh, well its called kz750s1 and its a twin LTD.
Its not a US bike, Could it be so simple that S = Sweden?

Yes, could be. Since it's a European model the wiring & lighting probably have some differences from the USA models. A couple of typical differences. In the USA the headlight is usually always on when the ignition switch is on & USA models have front running lights that are also always on. each front turn signal is 2-wire plus each turn signal has a ground wire & the Fr bulbs have 2-filaments. 1 filament is for the running lights & the other filament is for the turn signals.
Last edit: 19 Jun 2017 06:16 by martin_csr.

More
19 Jun 2017 06:43 #764762 by kzswe
I have a feeling being a member here will make my future endeavours with this bike alot smoother.

Thanks alot for the assistance!

More
19 Jun 2017 07:08 #764767 by martin_csr
If you happen to do any KZR searches, your ears should perk up whenever you see any replies by bountyhunter & steell. Those two know a lot about the 750 Twins.