Doozie of a starter problem.

More
05 Jun 2017 20:34 #763693 by Racewayelko
Doozie of a starter problem. was created by Racewayelko
Hi all,
I recently started working on my 1982 Kz750 spectre again (had to stop because of college and other life things). I am having a heck of a time figuring out a starter problem I am having

Problem: When I press the Starter button, nothing happens. No solenoid click, nothing.

What I've tried (All Done In Neutral, on Center stand, kickstand in the horizontal position, Didn't think about the clutch position sensor so clutch is in out position):
Charge battery to 100%
Checked Headlight/Ignition Fuse in left hand side fuse box (checked good)
Checked Run/off switch- Checked good (Get 12v to across when in stop mode, get 0v across when in run)
Cleaned up the contacts on the starter momentary switch (No Change)
Replaced Solenoid with another one I had laying around from my gpz550 (No Change)
Ran a wire from the positive battery post to the negative on the starter switch (no change, no Solenoid click)
The Starter is good, We replaced the brushes and cleaned up the commutator bars less than 1k miles ago
I may have done a few other things that I can't remember, it was a long day

Is there anything I am missing or that I am overlooking? Thanks!

Andrew

Keep it rubber side down everyone :)
Klx 110, TTr125, TTr250, 1982 kz750-N1 (Spectre), Xt-350 (soon to be the new home of a Kz550 engine :) )

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Tyrell Corp
  • User
  • "You were made as well as we could make you"
More
06 Jun 2017 06:02 #763708 by Tyrell Corp
Replied by Tyrell Corp on topic Doozie of a starter problem.
Ran a wire from the positive battery post to the negative on the starter switch (no change, no Solenoid click)

Get a couple of jump leads batt - ve to engine groundpoint batt + to starter + terminal. You are eliminating the solenoid and leads and testing just the starter.

You can energise the solenoid, it will click when connected. Starter button / kill switch and interconnecting wiring and block connectors would be worth looking at.

This Neutral / Clutch / stand interlock is a simple logic circuit and will disable the starter if any or all of the three conditions are not met. This is easily disconntected.

1980 Gpz550 D1, 1981 GPz550 D1. 1982 GPz750R1. 1983 z1000R R2. all four aces

More
16 Jun 2017 05:38 #764501 by Racewayelko
Replied by Racewayelko on topic Doozie of a starter problem.
Sorry for the delay in getting back to you, you were right, it was a loose connection in the wiring harness. THank you!

Keep it rubber side down everyone :)
Klx 110, TTr125, TTr250, 1982 kz750-N1 (Spectre), Xt-350 (soon to be the new home of a Kz550 engine :) )