Blinkers Stop Blinking When Applying Brakes

• c_loughridge
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
05 Jun 2017 09:47 - 05 Jun 2017 09:52 #763595 by c_loughridge
Blinkers Stop Blinking When Applying Brakes was created by c_loughridge
I recently purchased front LED Blinkers and a flexible rear LED tail light that has blinkers built in for my 1980 KZ440A LTD. I had done some research and thought I found a correct flasher relay for this setup but I'm having issues with getting the front and rear blinkers to work when the front or rear brake is applied. I have checked all my ground wires and everything seems to be in order. The only wires I'm uncertain of are the two that came off the original relay. Does anyone know which color wire is for the Input or output? Below are pics of the blinkers, brake light and relay. I'm not an ace when it comes to electrical so I appreciate any help. Thanks.

1980 KZ440 LTD
Last edit: 05 Jun 2017 09:52 by c_loughridge.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Jun 2017 02:20 #763939 by ThatFiveOhTho
Replied by ThatFiveOhTho on topic Blinkers Stop Blinking When Applying Brakes
Have you tried removing the relay out of the equation? You'll end up with a solid Amber light but if you can get them working together then the relay may be at fault.

1982 KZ750E

More
09 Jun 2017 02:24 #763940 by ThatFiveOhTho
Replied by ThatFiveOhTho on topic Blinkers Stop Blinking When Applying Brakes
Also, if your gauge cluster (assuming you have one) has any incandescent lights this might affect the operation of that flasher relay.

1982 KZ750E
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1

• c_loughridge
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
09 Jun 2017 05:08 #763943 by c_loughridge
Replied by c_loughridge on topic Blinkers Stop Blinking When Applying Brakes
I removed the center indicator light cluster If that is what you are referring to. I wonder since the center cluster has blinker indicator lights and it's no longer connected that I might need to run a ground wire from the open connector to the bike.

1980 KZ440 LTD
Attachments:

More
10 Jun 2017 19:36 #764035 by ezrider714
Replied by ezrider714 on topic Blinkers Stop Blinking When Applying Brakes
My wild guess to start troubleshooting is something is miswired allowing the turn signal circuit and the brake light circuit to connect electrically.
I don't believe they should have any connection to each other, other than both have a ground path, as in activating the brake light switches should not be able to electrically cause any action in the turn signal circuity.
As I said a wild guess, but that's the premise I'd start with...... Then again I'm not a sparky

EZ

78 KZ650SR Mine since 79
4-1 Mac Jet Hot coated since mid 80's
Dyna Coils
Saddlebags (I ain't skeered of going nowhere) :)

• c_loughridge
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
15 Jun 2017 05:07 #764423 by c_loughridge
Replied by c_loughridge on topic Blinkers Stop Blinking When Applying Brakes
Well problem solved. After all the guessing and looking for grounding issues it came down to a faulty relay I bought off of amazon. I purchased a different one from "Superbrightleds.com".
Link here:
www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/flasher...ctronic-flasher/781/

1980 KZ440 LTD