KZ 1100 coil problem

More
03 Jun 2017 12:28 #763426 by PiotrKZ
KZ 1100 coil problem was created by PiotrKZ
Just working to fire up my oldies, so carbs are allmost done but I found another problem. Just left ignition coil gives no spark. I change wires from right coil and left start working working. So looks like I have a problem with signal delivery to left coil, so now must look for problem. So can anyone help me how to check it where to check it and where to start???

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Jun 2017 15:03 - 03 Jun 2017 15:04 #763432 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic KZ 1100 coil problem
Left ignition coil should have had the black wire and have plug wires to cylinders 1 and 4.

That means swapping the green wire with black wire gives spark on 1 and 4, but not 2 and 3.
Correct?

So the coils are good but the circuit for 1-4 is not good. It can be the pickup or the igniter or related wiring.

You can swap the pickup wires to narrow down the problem.
Put everything back to normal.
Swap black and yellow pickup wires.
Swap red and blue pickup wires.

If 1 and 4 fires, but 2 and 3 do not, the problem has moved.
That means the pickup with black and blue wires may be bad, or the wiring is bad.

If the problem stays on 1 and 4, then the igniter circuit is bad for cylinders 1 and 4. Or the wiring is bad.
Last edit: 03 Jun 2017 15:04 by loudhvx.

More
04 Jun 2017 09:24 #763514 by PiotrKZ
Replied by PiotrKZ on topic KZ 1100 coil problem

Attachment not found

Attachment not found

Attachment not found

Problem solved!!!! I clean up pickup wires connectors which were very oxidized and all works. I fire up my beauty and all works like a charm, just valves are loose because I hear them. Adjust them should not be a problem.
Now will be time to take all apart and restore ancient beauty. Tankk is unfortunately rosted and will neddt to do that somehow, but does not look good.

More
04 Jun 2017 17:45 #763548 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic KZ 1100 coil problem
Nice job. Hope the bike gets to see many more miles!

More
05 Jun 2017 09:38 #763594 by PiotrKZ
Replied by PiotrKZ on topic KZ 1100 coil problem
Where I can get the special tool to change a shim, or maybe there is another way to do that without special tool needed??

More
05 Jun 2017 12:32 #763616 by PiotrKZ
Replied by PiotrKZ on topic KZ 1100
Just unscrew the mufflers from cylinder, looks like someone already put his hands there because nuts were not original and beneah the engine where are two holes for bolts keeping mufflers was nothing but holes. One muffler is broken just next cylinder mount but that can be welded. My concern is if that mufflers are from stainless and can be polished?
Exchaust looks also terrible, rosted, but I guess are chrommed and must be redone again or????How to bring the entire exchaust system to previous glory??