For those using an m-unit - Voltage behavior

More
03 May 2017 10:45 #761075 by slc-kz
I'm hoping some of you out there using an m-unit might be able to help me out. I'm 99% done with my 82KZ750 LTD build but I'm having an issue. Initially my (stock reg/rec) crapped out and was overcharging the system . I was running the brown wire appropriately to the AUX output, yellows to yellows, black to ground and red/white to connection are starter sol. The system was overcharging so I swapped out to a newer reg/rec from Z1 that eliminates the brown wire. Since then i'm getting a great charge but getting a really odd behavior from the m-unit.

When increasing revs (and voltage) with the headlight off one of two things happens when I hit about 14.5 V - either the start INPUT flickers as if i'm tapping the starter button or the right turn signal turns on until I lower revs. It makes me think I'm still getting less than ideal flow somewhere because it's similar to how the unit will dissipate power to the horn/headlight if it's trying to protect the battery from the charging system. I did some searching and only came across this discussion which isn't the same issue - www.kzrider.com/forum/4-electrical/60403...ectifier-info#761068

All this to say, does anyone with a solid understanding of wiring and possibly m-units know what could cause the issue. Just trying to figure out if I killed the m-unit or battery in some possible way. Any help is appreciated and I can hopefully add a wiring diagram tonight when I swing by the shop where we are troubleshooting everything.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 May 2017 11:03 #761076 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic For those using an m-unit - Voltage behavior
Had to google "m-unit" since I hadn't heard of this before. Sounds interesting.

Seems that it's configurable which begs the question of how you set it up?

More
03 May 2017 12:03 #761081 by McZed
Things lighting up when they shouldn't is usually an earthing problem.

More
03 May 2017 12:13 - 03 May 2017 12:13 #761086 by slc-kz
It's only configurable to a certain extent - (number and function of buttons being used, shared brake light and running light) but not in terms of how it manages or distributes power without an action to produce it.

Was going to dig into grounds first thing when I get back considering we just re-checked the voltage and everything seems fine.

Thanks for the thoughts!
Last edit: 03 May 2017 12:13 by slc-kz.

• Tyrell Corp
  • User
  • "You were made as well as we could make you"
More
03 May 2017 19:00 #761122 by Tyrell Corp
Replied by Tyrell Corp on topic For those using an m-unit - Voltage behavior
Things lighting up when they shouldn't is usually an earthing problem.

yes, cleaning up frame earths or 'grounds' , plus adding extra ones at the front and rear of the bike works for me.

The wiring looms have staples in them holding the numerous yellow/black ground wires together, these can disintegrate in time and are hidden under the wrap. A continuity meter won't detect this as it is still a circuit albeit with higher resistance. I partially rewired my loom with new yellow/black wire. Leave the old wire in place, just run new wire along the outside of the harness and tape in.

Biggest advantage of the m unit would be using very thin wires concealed inside the handlebars and through the risers for a clean uncluttered look on a chop or special imo.

1980 Gpz550 D1, 1981 GPz550 D1. 1982 GPz750R1. 1983 z1000R R2. all four aces

More
04 May 2017 09:42 #761166 by slc-kz
So, all grounds appear to be perfect. Motor ground is fine. Munit grounds to seatpan which is totally fine and I've actually wired everything up front to a front frame ground. next step is to pop open the headlight and actually check connections of the connectors used on those.

I've also put out a feeler with the guys over at Revival Cycles who kind of specialize in m-units and am waiting for word from them, I'll let you all know if I hear anything. Thanks again for all the input!

• Tyrell Corp
  • User
  • "You were made as well as we could make you"
More
06 May 2017 11:47 #761299 by Tyrell Corp
Replied by Tyrell Corp on topic For those using an m-unit - Voltage behavior
So, all grounds appear to be perfect

How do you know?

1980 Gpz550 D1, 1981 GPz550 D1. 1982 GPz750R1. 1983 z1000R R2. all four aces