Dead Battery?

More
30 Apr 2017 12:15 #760776 by Shimmy
Dead Battery? was created by Shimmy
Went to start up my bike after the winter, and when turning the ignition to "on", nothing happens. No lights, nothing. Poking around with a multimeter, continuity seems correct everywhere I check (which would make sense since I didn't play with the wiring really), but the battery only measures ~6.4V. When charging the battery over the winter, the charge level needle on the charger swung up to the top, but the "fully charged" LED never lit. Is that voltage low enough to keep even the idiot lights off? Thanks as always for any wisdom you can provide!

1980 KZ750 LTD
Edmonton, Alberta

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Apr 2017 12:21 #760777 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Dead Battery?
Buy a new battery.

Also, when charging a motorcycle battery you must keep the amperage of the charger set at or BELOW 2 amps. Otherwise you will shorten the life of the battery. Also, do NOT try to start the bike while it is jumped to a running vehicle or charger as this can damaged the bike's electrics. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
30 Apr 2017 12:30 #760778 by Shimmy
Replied by Shimmy on topic Dead Battery?
Yup, I know those bits. Sounds like it's time to do some battery shopping, sigh. Thanks!

1980 KZ750 LTD
Edmonton, Alberta

More
01 May 2017 18:42 #760934 by Shimmy
Replied by Shimmy on topic Dead Battery?
For those keeping score, got a new battery and she lit up like Christmas. Didn't think a battery would go from starting the bike fine in the fall to not even lighting an idiot light in the spring, but there you go.

1980 KZ750 LTD
Edmonton, Alberta

More
02 May 2017 07:11 - 02 May 2017 07:16 #760963 by diggerdanh
Replied by diggerdanh on topic Dead Battery?
I had a battery in my lawn mower that was starting its 4th year go bad a few weeks ago almost instantly. I kept in on charge off and on all winter ( and previous winters ) and it started right up and I mowed the grass a couple times already this year. Then I the next time I went to start it it was nearly dead. I threw a charger on it and it appeared to take a full charge but it would barely light up the dash lights and it wouldn't even turn the engine at all. I feared there was something more wrong with the mower engine. I jumped it with my truck and it turned over and started after charging for a few minutes. But after disconnecting the truck battery the mower only ran for a minute or so and then spit, sputtered and died. I replaced the battery and all was well again. In fact it was only after I changed the battery that I realized how the previous one was underperforming. The new battery turns the engine over a lot better than the old one and it starts right away. With the old one I had to crank it over a few times before it would start. So anyway, way too long of a story to simply say yes, they can go from being adequate to completely junk very quickly.
Last edit: 02 May 2017 07:16 by diggerdanh.
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1

More
02 May 2017 20:28 #761022 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic Dead Battery?
Yea, I've had batteries that were turning the engine over good as new, and suddenly fail mid crank. Buying a new battery is no guarantee either. I had a 1993 E350 van, bought a new Motorcraft battery and it worked great, 2 days later, no lights, no nothing, battery dead.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

More
02 May 2017 20:33 #761024 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Dead Battery?
Similar thing happened to me with my old truck. Battery was working fine; no problems at all. I stopped for a burger, and when I tried to start the truck - nothing. Something internal must have broken because the voltage went to zero. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
More
02 May 2017 23:24 #761029 by Scirocco
Replied by Scirocco on topic Dead Battery?
On service free batteries you canĀ“t check the acid level or refill distillate water. If one cell is dry or under the recommended
level the electric voltage get a drop ( internal resistance of the cell by plate sulfation by over charging and / or battery not in use) . The recommended voltage and current dropped immediately when you try to start the engine.
Some electric charger can do a de-sulfation cycle to refit a battery but if one or more cells or plate(s) are down over a long time, you will never get it full charge any more and have to buy a new one.