Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Who can identify these connectors? 26 Apr 2017 13:16 #760311

• zak900
  • zak900's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 4
Its a bit of a long shot to expect anyone to recognise the unconnected wiring I found after taking the tank off my kz900 but if anyone knows if they are supposed to be connected to something or not it would be helpful. Everything seems to work and the hazard 4 way flasher switch is missing as is the indicator buzzer so possibly some of it could be from them.
Sorry if the pictures dont show it very clearly.
Let the good times keep rollin'
1976 KZ900 A4

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Who can identify these connectors? 27 Apr 2017 07:06 #760377

• martin_csr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1621
Not sure if these pics are any help. saved 'em as a just in case. :)

The following user(s) said Thank You: zak900

Last edit: by martin_csr.

Who can identify these connectors? 27 Apr 2017 07:12 #760378

• martin_csr
  • User

Who can identify these connectors? 27 Apr 2017 08:17 #760382

• zak900
  • User
Thanks for the pictures. Not a bad idea to keep images like that when you see them. Good for future reference.
I will have a closer look later and see if they match up with any of the stray connectors.
1976 KZ900 A4

Who can identify these connectors? 27 Apr 2017 08:30 #760385

• Patton
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 2098
If not already done, could likely determine identity of the connectors as they are shown in the official colorized wiring diagram found in the Factory Service Manual (see also in KZr's FILEBASE).

Good Fortune! :)
1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

Who can identify these connectors? 27 Apr 2017 22:31 #760454

• zak900
  • User

Patton wrote: If not already done, could likely determine identity of the connectors as they are shown in the official colorized wiring diagram found in the Factory Service Manual (see also in KZr's FILEBASE).

Thanks Patton. As a newbie I hadnt yet seen what is in the filebase. Had a quick look at the wiring diagram before heading to work but needs a bit more studying to see if it will identify them. Am I right in saying that the U.S. model didnt have a pass light switch on the l/h switch?
Mine is a U.S. model imported to U.K. but presumably at some point had U.K. switchgear fitted as it has a pass light switch.
1976 KZ900 A4

Who can identify these connectors? 28 Apr 2017 07:17 #760480

• Patton
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 2098

zak900 wrote: . . . Am I right in saying that the U.S. model didnt have a pass light switch on the l/h switch?
Mine is a U.S. model imported to U.K. but presumably at some point had U.K. switchgear fitted as it has a pass light switch.

That's correct.

Wiring diagrams for the US, Canada models don't show a "passing switch."

Wiring diagram for the European model does show a "passing switch." (With further information about the "passing switch" detailed in the box at the bottom of the wiring diagram entitled "Left Handlebar Switch Connections.")

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1

Last edit: by Patton.

Who can identify these connectors? 05 May 2017 14:26 #761259

• zak900
  • User
This is the last connector that I cant identify. There is a blue wire in the loom that the wiring diagram shows it goes to the 10 amp fuse but there is also this extra blue wire with a white tip from the r/h switch gear that I cant find where it goes or what it is for. Any ideas?
1976 KZ900 A4
Attachments:

Last edit: by zak900.

Who can identify these connectors? 05 May 2017 14:53 #761263

• martin_csr
  • User
From the KZ900-A4 wiring diagram in the filebase, the blue/white wire connects to a blue/white wire from a 10A fuse & that may be the headlight fuse. The fuse box may be embossed with MAIN, HEAD & TAIL and other info.

Just curious, at the handlebar control is ON-PO-OFF a headlight switch of some sort?

Last edit: by martin_csr.

Who can identify these connectors? 05 May 2017 15:11 #761267

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2829

martin_csr wrote: Just curious, at the handlebar control is ON-PO-OFF a headlight switch of some sort?

Yes. The earlier KZ650 models, such as my 1977 KZ650-C1, used that control to switch the headlight on or off. On mine, and I believe all US models, the "PO" lettering was painted black rather than white like the "ON" and "OFF" lettering and the "PO" position had no function. I may be wrong, but I think the "PO" position was for a European function such as a low wattage parking light. Ed
1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

Who can identify these connectors? 05 May 2017 17:37 #761272

• martin_csr
  • User
Thanks. My 81 650 has the castings for an ON - OFF toggle switch for the lights, but the lettering is painted black as well & the handlebar control wasn't machined for the toggle switch. The headlight circuit in the FSM shows a headlight switch with ON-PO-OFF for the non-USA/Canada models.

Who can identify these connectors? 05 May 2017 18:21 #761277

• zak900
  • User

650ed wrote:

martin_csr wrote: Just curious, at the handlebar control is ON-PO-OFF a headlight switch of some sort?

Yes. The earlier KZ650 models, such as my 1977 KZ650-C1, used that control to switch the headlight on or off. On mine, and I believe all US models, the "PO" lettering was painted black rather than white like the "ON" and "OFF" lettering and the "PO" position had no function. I may be wrong, but I think the "PO" position was for a European function such as a low wattage parking light. Ed

Yes its a European light switch which has a 5w bulb used as a marker light although in essence everybody has the headlight on full day or night time for the car drivers that struggle to see bikes.
1976 KZ900 A4

• Page: