Bike will not fire

More
01 Nov 2016 11:53 #746871 by CARTHAGE
Bike will not fire was created by CARTHAGE
Hello everyone here on KZRIDER.COM. I am JT, and I am new to the website. I need help--more than the usual type, of course--but I'll try to confine my issues to my KZ650. The reason I'm posting today is because I need advice, tips, pointers, or whatever else anyone may want to chime in with on this topic. Here is where I stand on my 1980 KZ650-E1... The wiring harness was a disaster, due to some previous owner hacking and cutting wherever they felt like. I know a fair amount about electrical work, enough so that I figured I would just make a new, simple wiring harness. But I cannot get my KZ to fire. It will crank... and crank and crank and crank. But It will not actually fire and run. It's dang close, but not quite there. So I turn to the experts on KZ's--all you guys here on KZRIDER. I have read several of the forum topics before, so I know there are plenty of you guys here that know what you're doing with these awesome old bikes.
Just to get the bike running (FOR NOW), I have reused factory wires that came on this bike. But I will be rewiring the bike with a different setup when I know exactly what wires I need and where I need them. So the actual gauge of wire is whatever came on the bike. I'm not sure of the exact size, but I'm close. The wire gauge is in parentheses, by the way.
Here's the wiring I have so far: battery to starter solenoid (4/6ga); battery to new weatherproof marine-grade ignition switch (14/16ga); ignition switch to new mini fuse block (14/16ga); fuse block to marine grade push-button start (14/16ga); start button to starter solenoid (14/16ga); starter solenoid to starter (4/6ga); starter solenoid has black wire as ground; fuse block to both coils (14/16ga); fuse block to regulator/rectifier (14/16ga). The reg/rect has five wires (brown, white/red stripe, black/yellow stripe, and two yellow). The stator only has two yellow wires coming out of it (single-phase?). There IS a green/red stripe wire coming out with the two yellow stator wires, but I read somewhere that the green/red stripe wire is from the neutral safety switch. The points were replaced with a Dyna S electronic ignition by a previous owner, and the Dyna S has four wires in its "harness"--one black, one white, two red (but the two red wires splice into one connector). There is also a blue wire coming from under the right side (ignition)cover. But I read that the blue wire is from the oil pressure sensor. The Dyna S electronic ignition wires--one for each coil (white to Left side coil, black to Right side coil). The Dyna S red wire is connected in with the switched power source for the coils, also. The Dyna S wiring is correct according to their website and their instructions. The coils are brand new and just installed. I do have spark at the coils as I'm cranking. I did give the carbs a shot or two of starting fluid when I was cranking it earlier this morning. It ALMOST ran. But it's still a no-go.
So... I am at a loss right now as to why my KZ will not run. Can you guys here on KZRIDER please help me? I don't think I left anything out, as far as WHAT is wired up and HOW it's wired up. If anything seems wrong or out of place, please feel free to tell me I'm wrong. My wife tells me that all the time, so it won't hurt my feelings. I promise. I just went to my garage before starting this post, and I drew myself a diagram of how everything is hooked together. So I'm relatively certain that I just listed everything correctly (as far as it is wired up now).
Thank you in advance for all your time and advice.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Nov 2016 12:05 #746875 by CARTHAGE
Replied by CARTHAGE on topic Bike will not fire
I apologize. I forgot to mention how the regulator/rectifier is wired up. The factory 3-wire plug is untouched (two yellow wires to the stator, one black/yellow stripe wire as ground). The brown wire coming in from the fuse block as a 12V switched power source (sense wire). The white/red stripe wire is hooked back to the positive battery post.

More
01 Nov 2016 13:15 - 01 Nov 2016 13:16 #746886 by mopguy
Replied by mopguy on topic Bike will not fire
You need 3 things in order for your engine to fire up
#1) Spark - make sure the sparkplugs are firing and coils are good, battery is good.
#2) Fuel- make sure carburetors are getting fuel and all passages are clean
#3) Compression - Check compression on all cylinders

Make sure all clamps on carburetor boots are tight and not leaking air.
This should get your motor to start.

I have a 1980 Kawasaki KZ750 Ltd. I bought new. I recently managed to get it out of my garage after 28 years and put it on the road again (2010). I feel like a kid all over again. Since I have acquired 3 78 KZ1000 Ltd, 1 1981 KZ1000 Ltd, and another 1980 KZ750 Ltd. Love the LTD's.
Last edit: 01 Nov 2016 13:16 by mopguy.

More
01 Nov 2016 16:33 - 01 Nov 2016 16:35 #746905 by JR
Replied by JR on topic Bike will not fire

The Dyna S electronic ignition wires--one for each coil (white to Left side coil, black to Right side coil).

Just a thought but....
Is it possible you have the coils ass backwards ? White goes to the coil which fires cylinders 1 and 4 and black goes to the coil which fires cyslinders 2 and 3. More important than left or right. I have connected coils wrong in the past and wondered why i had spark and cranking but no fire.
Should be easy to check
Good luck

www.kzrider.com/forum/4-electrical/53220...000-dyna-coil-wiring

1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust
Last edit: 01 Nov 2016 16:35 by JR.

More
02 Nov 2016 07:40 #746950 by CARTHAGE
Replied by CARTHAGE on topic Bike will not fire
Thanks guys. I will make sure to check all the things you just mentioned. I will report back with what I find. Until then... safe riding to all.