81 kz750 4 LTD ignitor problem

More
08 Sep 2016 18:40 #741626 by Catfish 58
81 kz750 4 LTD ignitor problem was created by Catfish 58
Hello All: I have had a problem with my bike starting. When this happens I plug in a different ignitor and it starts up immediately. I shut it off and plug the ignitor that is mounted on the bike and it starts up and runs fine for days and many miles. Then all of a sudden it does it again and I go through the same process as above and it works great. Any ideas on what this might be?

Thanks Catfish

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Sep 2016 19:52 #741642 by KZ802
Replied by KZ802 on topic 81 kz750 4 LTD ignitor problem
Electrical problems suck. That being said you need to just be methodical and check everything. At others advice I went out and got myself some Deoxit cleaner. I went through all of the electrical connectors and cleaned them using it. I found one connector that had a broken tab on it and was easy to pull out. I don't think that was my problem at the time but it probably would be at some point so I replaced it. And now I know what the condition of all of my wiring is. My problem turned out to be a corroded wire in the factory crimped connections in the main wiring harness under the tank. There were two wires on one side crimped to one wire on the other side that was still hanging on by a few strands. This caused it to intermittently cut out. Anyways pinball.ken told me to check my wires because he found one that was knicked or pinched at some point. I'm guessing that you have a wire or ground problem that seems like it gets better when you mess with the igniter but it is still there. Happy hunting.

1980 KZ750 LTDx2
1978 KZ1000 LTD
1976 KZ900 A

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.