Just one question, then I'm gone

More
12 Aug 2016 15:42 - 12 Aug 2016 15:53 #738425 by MOTMF
Just one question, then I'm gone was created by MOTMF
What type and size fuse plugs into those prongs? I just want the electric start to work.

Apparently my phone takes pictures that have resolutions too high to be uploaded here or else there would have been a picture. So now I'll try to explain what I mean.

Basically there's a solenoid to the right of the fuse box with a lead going to the battery and one to the motor, above those leads are four prongs that seem to accept a fuse. My local kawasaki dealer offered little help, I asked to show him what I meant and instead he just pulled up pictures on the computer and said there's your problem. Anyway, if a better description is needed I'll do my best. Thanks

1981 KZ750
Last edit: 12 Aug 2016 15:53 by MOTMF. Reason: Forgot picture

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Aug 2016 16:15 #738429 by MOTMF
Replied by MOTMF on topic Just one question, then I'm gone
It closely resembles the one in the picture, the only difference being the maxi fuse has been replaced by a small strip of metal underneath a cover. What plugs into those prongs?
Attachments:

More
13 Aug 2016 06:50 #738491 by toolmaker
Replied by toolmaker on topic Just one question, then I'm gone
I don't have any bikes as new as yours, but I don't remember those old bikes having anything on them that uses that type of fuse either.

I live near Portland, Oregon and my rider is a '76 KZ900 I bought new. I'm also in the process of restoring another one and a '73 Z1.

More
13 Aug 2016 07:15 - 13 Aug 2016 07:27 #738498 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic Just one question, then I'm gone
The stock relay doesn't have a fuse or those terminal pins. The one in the photo is a modern starter relay switch. the fuse in it is a main fuse. the extra terminal pins would have been for various wiring connections, such as from the voltage regulator & junction box etc. it sounds like someone bridged that fuse. I guess it wouldn't hurt to install a fuse there.

The stock fuse box has a 20A main fuse & two 10A. also, there should be an Acc fuse box w two 10A fuses (all glass fuses).
Last edit: 13 Aug 2016 07:27 by martin_csr.

More
13 Aug 2016 08:03 - 13 Aug 2016 08:26 #738506 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Just one question, then I'm gone

MOTMF wrote: What type and size fuse plugs into those prongs? . . . Basically there's a solenoid to the right of the fuse box with a lead going to the battery and one to the motor, above those leads are four prongs that seem to accept a fuse. . . 1981 KZ750

As there's not a 1981 KZ 750 twin model, the referenced 1981 KZ750 is probably an E2 or H2 four cylinder model.

Here are links to downloadable wiring diagrams for KZ750-E2 and for KZ750-H2 in KZrider's FILEBASE.
Click here > www.kzrider.com/filebase/category/79-kz750-electrical
> www.kzrider.com/filebase/download/79-kz7...750e2-wiring-diagram
> www.kzrider.com/filebase/download/79-kz7...750h2-wiring-diagram

MOTMF wrote: It closely resembles the one in the picture, the only difference being the maxi fuse has been replaced by a small strip of metal underneath a cover. What plugs into those prongs?

martin_csr wrote: The stock relay doesn't have a fuse or those terminal pins. . . .

Am also thinking the stock starter solenoid did not have integrated blade type fuses and did not have any integrated male blade style blade connectors.

May also find some helpful info at:
Click here > mbsween.bike-night.com/kz750l3/index.html
Then scroll down to and click on The Bible, which is the FSM (Factory Service Manual).
There's some starter solenoid info beginning on page 232.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:
Last edit: 13 Aug 2016 08:26 by Patton.

More
13 Aug 2016 08:35 #738510 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Just one question, then I'm gone
Someone must have installed a different solenoid.

If you text the photo to yourself, then upload it, it will sometimes be smaller, and might load on the forum.

Either way, just use a 5 or 10 amp fuse, It won't matter much since the fuse will be redundant to what the bike originally came with, as long as the original fuse box is hooked up. The solenoid should not need more than an amp or so.