Hi ok so having mega problems with my indicators.

More
02 Aug 2016 11:12 #737107 by Simbolick
Well I have been trying to problem solve the problems with my kz550b 1983. That guy who had it before me had chopped the ignition cables and rewired them to a flick switch. Does anyone have an idea if this could be contributing to my problem. So in the last week I've been trying to see if there's any broken cables or loose connections so far I have burned one relay out. I bought a new one and when plugging in power runs two all other lights even when the ignition switch is turned off but still nothing to the indicators any Ideas? Much help would be very appreciated

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Aug 2016 11:29 #737108 by Patton
Do you already have a wiring diagram?

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
02 Aug 2016 11:39 #737109 by MDZ1rider
You'll at least need a cheap multimeter or 12V test probe and continuity checker. Normally the wiring diagram in the Owners Manual or FSM can be used as a "map" for making checks in your system. It still may be useful for color codes and comparison purposes, but who knows what the PO did. You're going to have to trace the wiring one at a time.

More
02 Aug 2016 12:16 #737114 by Simbolick
Thanks. Yeah I have a test probe and the owners manual with the diagram but it's seen better days. Is there anywhere I can find a new one? I have just seen the op had cut all the ignition wires and what I can see so far is they go in to one (light green wire) to the start on off switch. You think this will be most likely my problem? Also why would my old relay over heat and burn out? And why would that flasher relay control the light for all the bike? The connection for the relay has power to two points ground and pass. It's all I can tell you for now.
Thanks for the help.

More
02 Aug 2016 12:26 #737116 by Patton

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
02 Aug 2016 13:01 #737119 by Simbolick
Ok thanks maybe am a complete tool. But I can't find the correct one for my bike. Kz550b ltd. 1983

• Kray-Z
  • User
  • I need more power Scotty....
More
02 Aug 2016 13:55 #737128 by Kray-Z
Hi, can't help with a manual or circuit diagram, but I'd bet you can find one somewhere on the web for your bike or at least that model in another year.

I can offer this piece of advice - save your mind from having a pre-mature melt down from solving problems with butchered electrical systems - get yourself one of these or something just like it:

www.mactools.ca/en-ca/Diagnostics-and-Te...2-24V-Circuit-Tester

I bought one of these years ago and it is soooooo incredibly handy and quick for finding basic wiring / circuit problems on any vehicle. Just hook the two leads to the battery terminals and go. One red LED light indicates the probe is hooked up to battery power. Another LED lights red when the probe touches positive power, but switches to green when grounded. I think it even goes yellow or flashes if you probe alternating current? I don't remember off hand. The brightness of this second LED is indicative of how much voltage is getting through to the point.

It doesn't replace a multi-meter in your toolbox, but for quick diagnostics it can't be beat!

2-04 R1, 81 CSR1000, 81 LTD1000, 2-83 GPz1100, 3-79CBX, 81 CBX, 3-XS650, 84 Venture, +parts
Quote "speed costs money...how fast do you want to go?" (Which Z movie?)
Universal formula for how many motorcycles one should own = n + 1, where n is how many motorcycles you own right now....