Aftermarket gauges for '82 GPz550, hall effect mou

More
18 Apr 2016 09:17 #721567 by MadShad
Hey guys, I've got my '82 up running and riding and I like the way it rides but not so much the way it looks. The stock cluster has a busted lens and I'm not in love with the looks anyway.

In looking around for cheap replacement options I've come across several all in one units that are all digital with a hall effect magnetic pickup for the speedometer.

Does this work? How and where does it mount?
Just looking for pros and cons on this type of setup.
Thanks!

Shelbyville, Indiana. '80 KZ1000
No more of that talk or I'll put the leeches on you, understand?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Apr 2016 08:26 - 19 Apr 2016 08:36 #721764 by baldy110
I have the Trail Tech "Vapor" speedo, it's about $125.00 and includes Tach, speedo, oil pressure light, blinker lights, over rev light, cylinder head temp and neutral light.
The speedo works on the hall effect method. I epoxied the included magnet onto my front brake rotor. The sensor has a curved shape to it and fits perfectly onto the left fork using the one sided tape which came on the sensor. I have has this set for about 4 years now and it works great Pretty easy install, once I calibrated the speedo for my wheels it's pretty accurate a lot more accurate than the original speed.
[IMG

[IMG

I also have a Koso RX1 speedo on my ELR clone. That one is pretty pricey, about $350.00. I really like that one however, it looks OEM and of really high quality. The tach is an actual needle and the speedo is in large digital numbers. It includes all lights for turn signals, oil pressure, blinkers, over rev and neutral. It too uses the hall effect method. I again glued 7 magnets around the left front brake rotor and using the included mount, mounted the sensor on the left front brake caliper. The install looks OEM and very clean.
[IMG

[IMG

I have yet to find any cons to both of these setups. They are WAY more accurate than the OEM ones and the lighting especially at night is awesome. One of the biggest complaints I had with the stock gauges was the lighting, I could hardly see them at night and as I got older it got worse. These new gauges use LED's and they are very bright, really nice.
Last edit: 19 Apr 2016 08:36 by baldy110.

More
19 Apr 2016 08:36 - 19 Apr 2016 08:37 #721768 by loudhvx
There are many arrangements for speed sensors. There are some that don't require a magnet be attached onto the wheel. Hall sensors would usually require a magnet be attached on some rotating part like a wheel or sprocket. There are some that use what's called a proximity sensor. That detects when a piece of metal goes by. Some people use that to detect the bolt heads on the brake rotor. I think I might have even seen one setup where the detector was inside the sprocket cover so there were no obvious sensors or wires visible. You could detect the two sprocket mounting bolt heads, but that would require some pretty precise fabricating under the sprocket cover,

Hall effect sensors detect magnetism.
Proximity sensors use various phenomena to detect metal. Sometimes it is also hall effect, but with an internal magnet and signal processing/amplifying. Sometimes it's inductive. These are all usually more expensive than a raw Hall-sensor.

That Koso Rx1 looks great! That would probably be on my short list.
Last edit: 19 Apr 2016 08:37 by loudhvx.

More
20 Apr 2016 06:48 #721973 by MadShad
Thanks guys, the koso unit is what the cheap knockoffs are copying it seems. Thanks for the info, got to figure out how much I want to spend and what in going to do with the bike ultimately.

Beautiful bikes btw!

Shelbyville, Indiana. '80 KZ1000
No more of that talk or I'll put the leeches on you, understand?