83 kz550m

More
11 Apr 2016 15:14 #720400 by cheddar323
83 kz550m was created by cheddar323
ok i have a 83 kz550 not charging the battery brand new battery tested multiple times its good new r/r and new stator still idles around low 12s at 4k rpm it might reach 13 flat and thats about it ive traced and cleaned every connection i can find when i put my multimeter on the red/white of the rr i get 13.5 at idle and 14.6 at 4k so its good from the rr i just cant figure out where this wire goes any help would be awesome

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Apr 2016 19:24 #720439 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic 83 kz550m
do you have a manual that would really help you with tracing wiring problems the wiring diagrams are in the back of the manuals usually so it would be handy to have the regulator rectifier is a combo unit and has a positive output wire with a ground wire in addition to that there is a brown wire the brown wire is the sense wire for the regulator the black wire is usually ground the three yellow wires are the ac wires from the alternator and the red and white wire are the output to the battery so it can be traced back to the battery but goes through the connections on the starter solenoid it doesn't power the solenoid but they just used that as a convenient location to connect wires sometimes so you might want to check and make sure it's not broken there.

More
12 Apr 2016 07:46 #720509 by cheddar323
Replied by cheddar323 on topic 83 kz550m
thanks for your response ill check the connections on the starter never thought to look there so in theory i can re run the red/white wire directly to the batt and bypass all the other uneeded connections