Front Brake/stop switch

More
03 Mar 2016 10:59 #713622 by Bama704
Front Brake/stop switch was created by Bama704
I have a '77 KZ900 and last time I rode all brake light functions were working just fine. Front brake applied, brake lights up. Rear brake applied, brake lights up. Now only my rear brake pedal will light up the brake light. Where is the front brake/stop switch located on my kz? This is the first place I want to look when I get home to see if there is any corrosion I can clean, or trace backwards.

1977 KZ900
Carbs are late model 1975 28mm

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Mar 2016 12:55 #713640 by Zephyrrider
Replied by Zephyrrider on topic Front Brake/stop switch
Have a look on the lower inside of front brake fluid reservoir - just in front of where lever attaches - follow your harness - mine is a flimsy connection - had to fix it more than once. Couldn't find any diagrams so i just figured yours would be similar to mine - hope that points you in the right direction ;)

Mick
1994 ZR750 Zephyr C4.

More
03 Mar 2016 13:09 #713642 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Front Brake/stop switch
On my 1977 KZ650-C1 the switch is on the triple tree (see image below). Sometimes if I brake hard the wires, where they connect to the switch, move a little and must be moved back for it to work again. Ed

Attachment 00003b-2-3-4.jpg not found

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Attachments:

More
03 Mar 2016 15:09 #713659 by Bama704
Replied by Bama704 on topic Front Brake/stop switch
I was able to get out for a few minutes to take a look. Ed, it appears that I also have a switch on my triple tree with bullet connectors. I had enough time to fidget with those wires only, I pulled both the hot and ground, cleaned the surface with some scotchbrite and put back on. Still did not make any difference. I won't be able to mess around with it anymore until this weekend, any other suggestions?

1977 KZ900

More
03 Mar 2016 15:21 - 04 Mar 2016 05:38 #713660 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Front Brake/stop switch
You should be able to use a multimeter to see if any voltage is being applied to the switch when the brake lever is pulled. Ed

Edited to correct for sleep induced mistake.

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Last edit: 04 Mar 2016 05:38 by 650ed.

More
03 Mar 2016 15:38 #713663 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Front Brake/stop switch
Brown is from ignition switch.

Blue runs to brake filament in rear bulb.

When ignition is ON, Brown supplies batt+ from ignition switch to front brake switch .

Application of front brake is supposed to close the brake switch (via pressure in the brake line) -- connecting Brown to Blue -- whereby Blue carries batt+ to brake filament in rear bulb.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
04 Mar 2016 03:35 #713733 by Zephyrrider
Replied by Zephyrrider on topic Front Brake/stop switch
Thanks ED ! I was a long way off :)

Mick
1994 ZR750 Zephyr C4.

More
04 Mar 2016 06:16 #713758 by Bama704
Thanks Patton, I do have a wiring diagram I was looking at, however that didn't come across very clearly when i was mentioned ground and hot. I do have a new main wiring harness that is only a few months old, I guess i'll let yall know what the multimeter says later.

1977 KZ900

More
04 Mar 2016 06:59 #713771 by MDZ1rider
Replied by MDZ1rider on topic Front Brake/stop switch
Pull the Brown and Blue bullet connectors off the front brake pressure switch on front brake line junction block and short them together. I use a pair of open needle nose pliers. If the brake light comes on, you've got a bad switch. If it doesn't, break out the meter and start tracing wires.

More
04 Mar 2016 07:15 #713774 by Patton

Bama704 wrote: Thanks Patton, I do have a wiring diagram I was looking at, however that didn't come across very clearly when i was mentioned ground and hot. I do have a new main wiring harness that is only a few months old, I guess i'll let yall know what the multimeter says later.

There is no "ground" involved at the front brake pressure-activated switch.

Whenever the ignition is ON, Brown is supplying batt+ from the ignition switch to the front brake switch, regardless of whether the brake lever is being squeezed or not being squeezed.

In other words, whenever the ignition is ON, there should always be batt+ via the Brown wire connection at the front brake switch.

Only when the front brake switch is activated (closed) by pressure in the line (due to squeezing the brake lever) does the Blue wire then carry batt+ to the brake filament in rear bulb.

Whenever the ignition is ON, squeezing the brake lever simply closes the brake switch (connects Brown and B lue) which simply extends Brown batt+ via the Blue wire to the brake filament in the rear bulb.

The front brake switch has no ground. It simply allows or disallows Brown's batt+ via Blue to the brake filament in the rear bulb.

The ground for the brake filament in the rear bulb is a via a black/yellow wire to the chassis.

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
05 Mar 2016 06:23 #713919 by Bama704
Got the issue fixed, it was a faulty switch. Luckily I was able to pick one up yesterday from a guy who has a riders paradise of bike parts. While I was there he showed me a KZ1000 he was working on. It needs a new paint job, but will look killer when repainted.

Attachment image.jpeg not found

1977 KZ900
Attachments:

More
05 Mar 2016 07:51 #713926 by Patton

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments: