kz440 ignition

• LandLeftBehind
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
17 Feb 2016 16:33 - 17 Feb 2016 16:38 #711160 by LandLeftBehind
kz440 ignition was created by LandLeftBehind
The bike in question is a 1982 kz440 ltd (belt).

The bike originally died in the summer when, travelling on the highway, it started backfiring and lurching. After that, I could still start and run the bike, but it refused to hold idle unless the choke was applied. Now I've cleaned the carbs, air filter and tested compression, and the bike won't start at all.

I get a spark with both plugs out, but if I install the plugs, then hook a timing light up and run the starter motor, the right cylinder stops sparking after a few puffs. So it would appear there is no spark in the right cylinder under compression.

After inspecting the ignition system, the IC igniter internal resistances seem to be way above spec, and reading similar values (mega-ohm range) when its supposed to be infinite.

So it appears the IC igniter is messed up, but does the ailment match the symptoms? Would a shot IC igniter cause poor sparking in one cylinder? Are these units known to go bad spontaneously? Or should I be looking elsewhere?

Then the question is what happens next. I'm somewhat turned off to the idea of buying a used igniter, because theres no quality assurance. I found what could possibly be an aftermarket replacement ( link ), but Im really not sure if its the right part for this bike. If anyone knows about aftermarket ignition systems, Im all ears!
Last edit: 17 Feb 2016 16:38 by LandLeftBehind.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Feb 2016 09:49 #711295 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic kz440 ignition
If at least one cylinder has good spark, then the igniter is fine. Check plug wires and plug wire connection at the coil (not the small wires). The coil is probably good too if one cylinder gets good spark, but the connection from coil to plug wire often gets bad or dirty and can cause problems. It wouldn't hurt to get a new coil if it's the original. There are some on ebay, brand new, for about $40.

• LandLeftBehind
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
19 Feb 2016 19:52 #711559 by LandLeftBehind
Replied by LandLeftBehind on topic kz440 ignition
Thanks for the input. I've already ordered a "new" igniter to check, but the coil would be another good place to look if the igniter is OK.

When you say "new", are you talking about the aftermarket stuff sold by Dynatek?

More
20 Feb 2016 13:36 #711671 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic kz440 ignition
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationSomething like this one. You will want to confirm it's 4 ohms.
Some say these cheap 4 ohm coils work well.

The Dyna coils come in 3 ohm or 5 ohm. With points, you'd probably want the 5 ohm.