Shorai lithium batteries

• gixxerkidd03
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
15 Feb 2016 17:16 - 15 Feb 2016 17:23 #710818 by gixxerkidd03
Shorai lithium batteries was created by gixxerkidd03
After having my bike master trugel battery fail a recent load test , I went shopping and bought my girl a very little valentine present.

I was talked into an awesome tiny Shorai lithium ion battery (LFX14A2-BS12)

Now this battery has the same specifications as the Shorai that is actually recommended for my 81 kz750e, but Its half the size.
Do you guys see any problems with this setup ? Being how simple these bikes are and little demand from accessories, Id like to see what you guys think

12v
14ah
14a max charge rate
210 cca

This a battery will give me the little kick in the ass I need to clean up some wiring.
Also if anyone knows of a good write up in a battery tray / panel for under a seat/tail, Hollar!

Thanks y'all,
Eric

1981 KZ750e
Attachments:
Last edit: 15 Feb 2016 17:23 by gixxerkidd03.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Feb 2016 17:35 - 15 Feb 2016 17:36 #710820 by NakedFun
Replied by NakedFun on topic Shorai lithium batteries
Nope, no problems. Just ensure you use their charger for LiOn batteries, or a smart lead acid charger and follow Shorai's instruction on the FAQ section of their site to use it. I just bought a 21 size Shorai for my ZRX and their charger for it. Once the C14 battery dies, I will do the same thing. Depending on how I like it, the KZ will also get one. Good luck!

Cory

2008 Kawasaki Concours 14
1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
1976 Kawasaki KZ900
Last edit: 15 Feb 2016 17:36 by NakedFun.

• gixxerkidd03
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
15 Feb 2016 19:07 #710840 by gixxerkidd03
Replied by gixxerkidd03 on topic Shorai lithium batteries
Thanks Cory, I'm pretty pumped on this thing.
I'm gonna run a few checks on my charging system and I should be good to go!
I wanna kit the drawing board and design an electrical pan for under my seat . I just need to figure out how to mount one. With out messing up my powder coat

Cheers
Eric

1981 KZ750e

More
15 Feb 2016 21:08 - 15 Feb 2016 21:09 #710847 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Shorai lithium batteries
The only potential problem is charging. Bike electrical systems are not precise in the voltage they charge the battery up to. From the many posts I have read on Li batteries in bikes, they either work well or die quickly. I suspect it is because they are being overcharged (?) in that particular bike's case.

Now this battery has the same specifications as the Shorai that is actually recommended for my 81 kz750e, but Its half the size.

That makes me wonder..... same A-hr rating and cold cranking Amp rating?

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 15 Feb 2016 21:09 by bountyhunter.

More
15 Feb 2016 21:15 #710849 by bountyhunter
From Shorai's website:

Shorai Batteries require a charging system output of 13.1 Volts or higher at idle, and must not exceed 15.2 volts at maximum output.

A lot of old bikes can't hold 13.1V at idle if the lights are on because the alternator just doesn't have the poop. Most olf bikes (and old cars) run off the battery at idle with the lights on. Not sure if that will hurt the Shorai battery (?)

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
16 Feb 2016 03:32 #710858 by NakedFun

bountyhunter wrote: The only potential problem is charging. Bike electrical systems are not precise in the voltage they charge the battery up to. From the many posts I have read on Li batteries in bikes, they either work well or die quickly. I suspect it is because they are being overcharged (?) in that particular bike's case.

Think of it as power density. LiOn has more power density compared to Lead Acid. Cold weather requires a different approach to starting by warming the battery up through drawing electrical current so that it will deliver max CCA.

Cory

1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
1976 Kawasaki KZ900

More
16 Feb 2016 03:36 #710859 by NakedFun

bountyhunter wrote: From Shorai's website:

Shorai Batteries require a charging system output of 13.1 Volts or higher at idle, and must not exceed 15.2 volts at maximum output.

A lot of old bikes can't hold 13.1V at idle if the lights are on because the alternator just doesn't have the poop. Most olf bikes (and old cars) run off the battery at idle with the lights on. Not sure if that will hurt the Shorai battery (?)

The only concern is that LiOn does not like being drawn dead. It can harm the cells though I have known some bike owners who have repeatably drawn their LiOn batteries dead and not harmed them. So as long as you are not sitting for hours at idle if your bike cannot deliver a constant 13.1 v you should be fine. As soon as the revs come up, you will begin charging.

I t'inkin it goes without saying that before installing one of these, you should ensure your charging system is functioning properly and not faulty.

Cory

1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
1976 Kawasaki KZ900

• gixxerkidd03
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
16 Feb 2016 08:25 #710907 by gixxerkidd03
I think the ony thing I'll have to worry about would be the CCA in temps below 20 degrees. Which I will probably never see, in which case will require the battery to warm up.

I figure as long as my stator resistance is good and it is producing within range before the r/r, and showing no signs of shorting to the case,

And the r/r giving the battery what is suppose to (15v), I should be in business.

Anyone know of a good thread on a rewire electrical tray for a bike like this?

Thanks for the input guys, I'll let you know tonight if everything checks out

Eric

1981 KZ750e

More
16 Feb 2016 12:45 - 16 Feb 2016 12:49 #710940 by bountyhunter

NakedFun wrote:

bountyhunter wrote: The only potential problem is charging. Bike electrical systems are not precise in the voltage they charge the battery up to. From the many posts I have read on Li batteries in bikes, they either work well or die quickly. I suspect it is because they are being overcharged (?) in that particular bike's case.

Think of it as power density. LiOn has more power density compared to Lead Acid. Cold weather requires a different approach to starting by warming the battery up through drawing electrical current so that it will deliver max CCA.

Cory

His post seems to say that a new Li battery is half the size of a previous Li battery which made me wonder. I realize Li reduces size compared to Pb. AFAIK, Shorai only makes Li batteries not lead acid for these applications.

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 16 Feb 2016 12:49 by bountyhunter.

More
16 Feb 2016 13:35 #710953 by zed1015
Replied by zed1015 on topic Shorai lithium batteries
My Shorai battery lasted 80 miles before it fried.
The bikes charging system was brand new and I had the correct 2 amp Shorai charger.
The retailer refunded me no questions asked and didn't want the battery back.
They told me it was a regular occurrence with around 50% of sales returned or refunded.
I wouldn't touch another as they are too sensitive to the variances of a vehicles charging system.

AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS
kzrider.com/forum/23-for-sale/611992-air-corrector-jets-

More
16 Feb 2016 13:56 #710956 by NakedFun
Interesting feedback Zed. Surprising a retailer would tell their customer that and continue to sell them! So far I have not had the same feedback from the ZRX owners group. Very positive experiences with one one or two bad initial experiences. Many having the first generation LiOn batteries still going strong. Now with ther prices being what they are for a good AGM, I have decided to use them on my stuff. I got the 21 frame size with the charger for $267 shipped to my door. We'll see what time will tell.

Cory

1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
1976 Kawasaki KZ900

• gixxerkidd03
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
16 Feb 2016 20:52 #711017 by gixxerkidd03
today was the day, before installing the battery i checked the resistance across the stator and checked that the stator wasn't starting to short to the case. -tested good

i installed the battery and the bike fired strong and charging at the battery at 13.7volts

this was the first time starting the bike after my fuel petcock failed and sucked fuel though cyl.#3 and fouled the plug. it was a mess.

so with new plugs and the battery it was good to have it running again.

thanks guys, i will certainly let you know if i have any issues in the future,

1981 KZ750e