Horn Button query

More
10 Dec 2015 00:46 #702596 by dennisch
Horn Button query was created by dennisch
Can anyone help with the following query? I'm using z900 handlebar switches on a z650 rebuild, you can't get z650 switches any more. Everything is fine apart from the horn button, which doesn't seem to do anything, A24017ccording to the wiring diagram the horn is a black wire and sure enough there is a black wire going in to the switch. The problem is that pressing the horn button doesn't connect this black wire to any other wire entering or leaving the switch. I've disassembled the switch and the black wire is one of three attached to the horn/passing switch but pressing the switch has no effect on the connectivity of the black wire. How does the horn work?. Any help appreciated

Dennis

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Dec 2015 02:24 #702598 by TexasKZ
Replied by TexasKZ on topic Horn Button query
I believe that switch completes the circuit through the handlebar. If the bar is painted, that can be a problem.

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough
The following user(s) said Thank You: dennisch

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
10 Dec 2015 04:46 #702605 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Horn Button query
That's right. The button completes the ground. The body has to have good contact with the bar. I have a relay in the system for my duel horns. The button it too wimpy for two horns.
Steve

More
10 Dec 2015 09:40 #702633 by baldy110
Replied by baldy110 on topic Horn Button query
I like to use black superbike bars on my bikes. To get the proper ground from that switch I simply run a dedicated grounding wire through the harness and ground the end onto the frame ground under the tank. Doing it that way I eliminate all the failure points designed into the stock system.