Headlight bulbs blowing regularly

More
12 Oct 2015 05:16 #694234 by Gordy
Replied by Gordy on topic Headlight bulbs blowing regularly
Ok, didn't need to do the school run in the end.

I ran the bike and measured again

Full beam engine on 16.0 volts
Dipped beam engine on 16.2volts

So if I'm reading your kind advice correctly this is down to the voltage regulator over charging the system?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Oct 2015 05:22 #694237 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Headlight bulbs blowing regularly
For sure, that is far too high. What year Z650 is the bike? Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gordy

More
12 Oct 2015 06:47 #694244 by Gordy

650ed wrote: For sure, that is far too high. What year Z650 is the bike? Ed

Its a 1978 KZ650-C2. The current regulator is Shindengen SH221-12 with 4 wires (2 Yellow) coming out.

More
12 Oct 2015 07:30 #694248 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Headlight bulbs blowing regularly
These folks sell very high quality parts for charging systems. I've been using one of their rectifiers for several years; it works perfectly and it was plug & play. You should contact them to make sure you get exactly the correct regulator for your year KZ650 because there were several different charging systems used on KZ650's over the years. Ed

www.oregonmotorcycleparts.com/index.html

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
12 Oct 2015 22:17 #694364 by Gordy

650ed wrote: These folks sell very high quality parts for charging systems. I've been using one of their rectifiers for several years; it works perfectly and it was plug & play. You should contact them to make sure you get exactly the correct regulator for your year KZ650 because there were several different charging systems used on KZ650's over the years. Ed

I've had a look there already, but as I'm in the UK shipping and import duties are going to make it super expensive sadly.

I was thinking of going down the route of the SH775 as mentioned in here. www.kzrider.com/forum/4-electrical/59907...ctifier?limitstart=0 As it seems to be a much more modern route to go down. If anyone has fitted one that would be lovely to hear about.

• Nessism
  • Away
  • Sustaining Member
More
13 Oct 2015 05:02 - 13 Oct 2015 10:37 #694389 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic Headlight bulbs blowing regularly

Gordy wrote:

650ed wrote: These folks sell very high quality parts for charging systems. I've been using one of their rectifiers for several years; it works perfectly and it was plug & play. You should contact them to make sure you get exactly the correct regulator for your year KZ650 because there were several different charging systems used on KZ650's over the years. Ed

I've had a look there already, but as I'm in the UK shipping and import duties are going to make it super expensive sadly.

I was thinking of going down the route of the SH775 as mentioned in here. www.kzrider.com/forum/4-electrical/59907...ctifier?limitstart=0 As it seems to be a much more modern route to go down. If anyone has fitted one that would be lovely to hear about.

The SH-775 is a superior unit compared to common shunting R/R's. I've got one on my 750 after trialing it on my GS1000 Suzuki. Series R/R's protect your stator from frying from excessive current returning to the windings and overheating it. Triumph is providing these units in service kits for certain bikes that have a habit of frying their stators. Polaris specs it as OEM on some vehicles (PN 4012941) . And speaking of frying stators, never purchase a stator that is reputed to add charging system capacity since that just means there will be more excess current than necessary for the bike, and this excess power will have to go somewhere, where it typically adds stress on the electrical system (stator and/or the R/R itself). BTW, there are some cheap aftermarket units being touted as SH775 replacements, but they aren't. Try ebay and look for photos of the actual unit so you can verify the numbers are printed directly on the unit (at the top).

Before ordering up the new R/R you may want to double check your charging system grounds. Many times the grounds get corroded which leads to overcharging. I'm not familiar with your particular bikes charging system, doubly so since it seems you only have a two phase charging system (??), but sometimes cleaning the grounds fixes the charging system right up.
Last edit: 13 Oct 2015 10:37 by Nessism.

• Tyrell Corp
  • User
  • "You were made as well as we could make you"
More
13 Oct 2015 06:34 #694409 by Tyrell Corp
Replied by Tyrell Corp on topic Headlight bulbs blowing regularly
Overcharging could also be a poor connection on the +ve, the 5 wire units take it straight from the battery, the 6 wire units also sense the voltage from the ignition switch IIRC.

1980 Gpz550 D1, 1981 GPz550 D1. 1982 GPz750R1. 1983 z1000R R2. all four aces

More
14 Oct 2015 04:48 #694508 by Gordy

Nessism wrote:
The SH-775 is a superior unit compared to common shunting R/R's. I've got one on my 750 after trialing it on my GS1000 Suzuki. Series R/R's protect your stator from frying from excessive current returning to the windings and overheating it. Triumph is providing these units in service kits for certain bikes that have a habit of frying their stators. Polaris specs it as OEM on some vehicles (PN 4012941) . And speaking of frying stators, never purchase a stator that is reputed to add charging system capacity since that just means there will be more excess current than necessary for the bike, and this excess power will have to go somewhere, where it typically adds stress on the electrical system (stator and/or the R/R itself). BTW, there are some cheap aftermarket units being touted as SH775 replacements, but they aren't. Try ebay and look for photos of the actual unit so you can verify the numbers are printed directly on the unit (at the top).

Before ordering up the new R/R you may want to double check your charging system grounds. Many times the grounds get corroded which leads to overcharging. I'm not familiar with your particular bikes charging system, doubly so since it seems you only have a two phase charging system (??), but sometimes cleaning the grounds fixes the charging system right up.

Yeah I saw quite a few iffy ones on ebay. I think I've managed to get a legitmate one with the connectors so fingers crossed it will arrived shortly and be ok.

I will double check the ground, but I know the battery end is good as I replaced that when replacing the battery.

More
15 Oct 2015 17:52 #694706 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic Headlight bulbs blowing regularly
www.electrosport.com has a good troubleshooting page.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
19 Oct 2015 04:02 #695164 by Gordy
Well the SH775 has arrived

Now to wire it up this week.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
19 Oct 2015 05:09 #695171 by SWest

More
19 Oct 2015 05:48 - 19 Oct 2015 05:49 #695184 by Gordy
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configuration

swest wrote: Do you have a link to the one you bought?
Steve

It's from a company called MTP Racing in Germany, but I bought it on their ebay store.

No where in the UK seems to stock them it seems.
Last edit: 19 Oct 2015 05:49 by Gordy.