1980 Kawasaki Z1000 MK2 Digital ignition meltdown

More
12 Sep 2015 13:09 #689785 by nuwonder
Hey all!

I just aquired a 1980 Kawasaki Z1000 MK2 and have been riding around the town with it few weeks. What a great bike, i'm totally in love.

Today however I went for a longer ride (about 100km) and suddenly in the middle of it the bike cut off. I smelled electrical burn, so I inspected the electronics and noticed that the Boyer electronic ignition module under the seat (blue box) previous owner had installed, had melted and smelled terrible. I concluded that this is unfixable and bike went back to garage in a van. What a sad day.

I was so pissed off that I didn't do any more inspection yet, but I know that previous owner said he had his previous unit melt too and installed this unit, which now failed me.

I just wanted to ask you guys (as i have zero experience on digital systems, only points) what could possibly do this? I tried to google a bit but didn't find any case where the ignition module box had melted. I'm gonna dig deep into this of course, but would like some pointers where to start and what to suspect.

Thanks in advance!

-Sami

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.