Ignition and Wiring Help

More
12 Sep 2015 09:05 #689753 by doherme
Ignition and Wiring Help was created by doherme
Hey everyone,

I am new here and just purchased a (currently) not running 1981 KZ550. Bike looked really good for the age and I am hopeful that I can restore it. This is my first bike and my first project bike.

I want to see if the engine has good compression, but my first problem is that I can't get any power to the bike. Upon further inspection, I noticed that the ignition switch is not wired into the circuit. The wiring job is terrible, and I want to redo it all eventually, but I need a quick fix for this just so that I can hear if the engine has potential. Attached are some pictures of what I am dealing with. My main question is which wires need to be attached and how to go about doing it.

Sorry for the newb questions.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Sep 2015 10:11 - 12 Sep 2015 10:42 #689766 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic Ignition Switch and Wiring Help
KZRider loudhvx has wiring diagrams on his motorcycle stuff page --- see links in his signature.

The ignition switch should have a cover plate on the back of it & the pigtail should have a connector. There should be a matching connector at the headlight bucket --- hopefully it hasn't been removed as well.

Z1Enterprises,com has connectors & terminal pins --- for a proper repair you'd need an open barrel crimper. It might be easier to replace the switch.
Last edit: 12 Sep 2015 10:42 by martin_csr.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.