mystery wires

More
08 Sep 2015 18:14 #689242 by T0ink
mystery wires was created by T0ink
Two years ago i bought an '82 KZ750 LTD. The guy said it ran and he started it up and said the only problem was that it wouldnt shift up, 1st and N were fine, and said he had a bent shift fork. Turned out to be some missing teeth on the trans gears, but that was easy enough to repair. Long story short, i "hired" a guy to fix it for me... had the Clymer book, all the tools needed, but my boss gave me more hours i could not pass up. i figured he was a certified motorcycle mechanic and a friend (not anymore...) bam! id be riding her in the spring! no. he took the money i gave him for parts, took the ENTIRE bike apart, and had the motor in pieces at his home... so a filthy open motor, broken clutch hub, broken throttle cable, missing hardware, and an electrical harness that looks like mice nested in it...
I got the new gears installed, cleaned the engine, sealed it back up and installed, bought new hardware, new clutch hub, still need the throttle cable, and found out the battery died after 2 years...

**if you arent interested in the back story start here**

I connected MOST of the wires where i THINK they go, using the wiring diagram and one i found here. but there are a few that i cant QUITE nail down. i took pictures!

Attachment brokenplug.jpg not found

i found this directly under the battery tray, no visible missing wires from any plugs

Attachment extrawire.jpg not found

this thing is just hanging out in a box of parts.

Attachment randomredwire.jpg not found

i cannot find this red and blue wire on the diagrams, but i followed it up to the headlight then lost it...

Attachment groundandrblwire.jpg not found

the red and blue wire comes up here, even though i took this picture for the ground terminal, which i attached.

Attachment mysteryterminal.jpg not found

this terminal has a connection like a pair of binoculars o_o like. its on the left side by the fuse box.

ANY help would be greatly appreciated. i have experience repairing and creating wire harnesses, but im only as good as my diagrams... and since i didnt take it apart i cant even try to remember where they go... thank you in advance!

1981 Kawasaki KZ750 LTD
Rockford, IL
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Sep 2015 19:22 - 08 Sep 2015 19:28 #689254 by 80B4
Replied by 80B4 on topic mystery wires
Start by finding a genuine Kawasaki service manual. The Clymer book is only good if you need kindling or toilet paper.

1980B4 1000
1978 Z1R
1978 B3 750
Last edit: 08 Sep 2015 19:28 by 80B4.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nessism

More
09 Sep 2015 02:41 - 09 Sep 2015 12:41 #689263 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic mystery wires
Here's a site w a pdf manual & wiring diagrams. mbsween. bike-night. KZ750L3 page
Scroll down & click "The Bible" link. ......... search tags mbsween KZ750L3.
Note: some of the wiring diagrams are mislabeled in the links: the 1981 Ltd is an H2, the 82 is an H3, & the 83 is an H4.

#1 = ??? --- wire colors? If red/white -->> from the voltage regulator.

#2 = accessory ground (yellow/black wire) --- connect to battery neg (-) terminal.

#3 = oil pressure switch (red/blue wire)

#4 = grounding lug from battery neg (-) terminal --- bolted to engine, directly behind oil filler cap (heavy gauge cable).
(note: there should also be a heavy gauge cable from the battery pos (+) terminal to the starter switch/solenoid)

#5 = accessory lead (probably)(black/white wire) (there is also a blue/white acc lead at the headlight bucket)
The accessory leads emanate from a small acc fuse box which is visible in pic #1.
Last edit: 09 Sep 2015 12:41 by martin_csr.

• Tyrell Corp
  • User
  • "You were made as well as we could make you"
More
09 Sep 2015 05:15 - 09 Sep 2015 05:15 #689298 by Tyrell Corp
Replied by Tyrell Corp on topic mystery wires
as above, but # 2 might be an extra frame ground - or a battery -ve connection. I tend to add an extra ground for the rear lights anyway.

# 1 looks like your white/red to the starter solenoid.

You can probably find a colour wiring diagram for that.

1980 Gpz550 D1, 1981 GPz550 D1. 1982 GPz750R1. 1983 z1000R R2. all four aces
Last edit: 09 Sep 2015 05:15 by Tyrell Corp.

More
09 Sep 2015 10:21 #689345 by 1977-Z1-A1-LTD
Replied by 1977-Z1-A1-LTD on topic mystery wires
#2 definitely a ground; the nice thing about Kawasaki from that time era is that they used the black with yellow stripe on the ground wires (almost looks like a bright green stripe). May have been from battery NEG (-) to the regulator/rectifier. Some R/R have a double ground.
I would suggest getting a volt meter that has the continuity tester (makes a sound when you touch the leads together). This will save you a ton of time in tracing stray wires since you can touch one lead to the mystery and possibly find the other in the harness using the other lead on the meter. Also good for tracing grounding issues. Along with a good diagram noted above this should help get you back on the road. Good luck.

1977 KZ1000 LTD
1990 FXR
1998 KTM 300 EXC
1974 CBR 350

More
09 Sep 2015 11:57 #689359 by T0ink
Replied by T0ink on topic mystery wires
thanks, everyone for the replies!
#1 was red/white, and i found the connector to the starter solenoid, hidden in the tangle.
#4 grounded the ground.
#3 connected to the oil pressure switch.
have to find where my meter is, but just got home.
thanks again, ill let you know when i get done :D

1981 Kawasaki KZ750 LTD
Rockford, IL

More
12 Sep 2015 16:10 #689797 by T0ink
Replied by T0ink on topic mystery wires
update! thank you everyone for the help! i got the wires where they needed to go, got her started up! whoever had her last put the diaphragm for the #1 cylinder in upside down... so i cleaned and fixed that and cleaned and looked at the other carbs, got her put back together and she starts fine and i even took her around the block! only issue is i need to adjust the fuel mixture to get a little less lean, but that is a project for tomorrow!

1981 Kawasaki KZ750 LTD
Rockford, IL