• Page:

TOPIC:

new coil on 750 twin - long read 07 Jul 2006 08:58 #59928

• securitygeek
  • securitygeek's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Please don't be too mad... I put a Harley part on my twin yesterday!:ohmy:

I actually found a Harley mechanic that was helpful to a lowly KZ rider (I think he has a KZ750 4cyl) that pointed me to a Screamin Eagle dual fire coil. It is the orange one ($5 cheaper than either red or black), ~3 ohm primary (seemed to float between 2.6 and 3). It was priced at 49.95, but I got a 15% discount because it was a display at one point, and they didn't have a box (I jokingly said it should be $10 off without a box) and they gave me the employee discount!

I cut the molded in mount off of the new coil and placed it in the tool tray under the seat because it is too big for the original location. Now I need a new place to put the hard case for my eye glasses!

I works very well, nice and smooth at almost all throttle positions, where before I had noticable miss, especially at low rpm (~2300) crusing. Now I think I can attempt to address some carb adjusting. Last year I cut my OEM coil apart and cleaned a very corroded pin that the plug wire pushed on to, and epoxied it back together. Next step is to make a ignitor for the KZ440 electronic pickup I have.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

new coil on 750 twin - long read 07 Jul 2006 09:57 #59954

• Biquetoast
  • User
  • King Jeremy The Wicked
  • Thank you received: 7
securitygeek wrote:

...where before I had noticable miss, especially at low rpm (~2300) crusing...

Oh yeah, dude. The new Dyna coil made a 100% difference on my "daily runner" twin. I had the same symptom - really bad stammering - and now the thing runs like a beast.

Last week I got my 2nd 750 on the raod, and have recently noticed the exact same symptom, though not as bad. This time I am not hesitating, I ordered a Dyna from z1enterpises.com last night. I HATE that stammer/hesitation!!

It's always good to know about coil options though, so thanks for the update. I think Steell uses Accel coils, so those 3 are about all I've read being used on the twins anecdotally...
(1.) '75/'76 KZ400D - Commuter
(2.) '78 KZ750B3 Twin - Commuter
(3.) '78 KZ750B3 Twin - Commuter
(4.) '75 KZ400D - Sold
kz750twins.com

new coil on 750 twin - long read 08 Jul 2006 05:22 #60146

• trippivot
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
CHEERS to ingenuity!!! fixing an inherent problem is really cool!!

• Page: