Ignition Issues for my 1981 KZ750LTD

• CanadianMathlete
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
02 Aug 2015 15:50 #683926 by CanadianMathlete
Ignition Issues for my 1981 KZ750LTD was created by CanadianMathlete
Hey guys!

Been using a lot of information on these forums to help me narrow down my problems and I think I've found the core issue to my bike not starting. At least this what I hope it is. I'm hoping you all can help me verify.

Long story made short: Laid down the bike. Won't start but it wants to. Checked the carbs and floats for proper fuel flow. Inspected the spark plugs and found none of them were producing spark. Not even out of the caps/boots. So I took an ohmeter to the ignition coils and found that I am getting a wide array between 4.5 to 5.5 Ohms on both sets. Which, as I understand it from my book I should be expecting 1.8 to 2.8. I then tested the #1 and #4 spark plug wires and got nothing, then the #3 and #4 wires and got nothing.

Am I right in assuming these coils are done and I need to get a new set? Or am I completely missing the actual issue?

Cheers!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Aug 2015 16:53 #683956 by undiablo
Replied by undiablo on topic Ignition Issues for my 1981 KZ750LTD
6 things can fail when it comes to ignition problems:

a) Pulse coils (there are two right behing the igniton cover)
b) Igniter
c) Coils
d) cables
e) spark plugs
f) Kill switch

Check every one of this items to diagnose. Also check for solid 12V at the coils primary.

Kawasaki KZ 750/4 LTD 1981
Kawasaki KLR 650 2011
Argentina - Buenos Aires
The following user(s) said Thank You: CanadianMathlete

More
02 Aug 2015 19:57 #684006 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic Ignition Issues for my 1981 KZ750LTD
Ohm Checking Pickup(Pulsing) Coils

The pickup coils on the Kawasaki’s with the factory supplied electronic ignition can sometimes fail or become intermittent due to heat and vibration.

1.Trace back from where the pick up coils are mounted,(under a right side CD sized cover) locate and disconnect a small 4 pin connector. Using a multi-meter set on OHMS and range of X 100 check between the BLUE and BLACK wires(#1 and #4 sparkplug wires) for between 360- 540 OHMS.

2.For #2 and #3 sparkplugs the wire colors will be YELLOW and RED, again 360-540 OHMS.

3.If the pickup coils are suspect of failing due to heat, they can be stressed using a hair dryer without the need of the engine running.

4.A replacement set of pickup coils might be obtained from a dealer who serviced the police Kawasaki’s.

5. If replacement pickup coils are not available, your next choice would be to order a Dyna “S” electronic ignition system from www.z1enterprises.com It replaces the IC igniter with a smaller module located where the mechanical ignition advancer was mounted.

6.Checking with Kawasaki.com website has determined that the Pick up(pulsing) coils are available . The pulsing coil # is 59026-1133 and replaces the older # 1002, 1012 which were used from the MKII motors until the 2005 P24.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)
The following user(s) said Thank You: CanadianMathlete