Checking coils for a short

• Tyrell Corp
  • User
  • "You were made as well as we could make you"
More
04 Aug 2015 08:08 #684248 by Tyrell Corp
Replied by Tyrell Corp on topic Checking coils for a short
Dyna S is a quick install, I had an 1100 that had been stood for years, just a bare motor and pipe in a rolling chassis. I chucked a spare set of carbs on it and jumpered the coils and Dyna to a car battery and run the motor up, just wanted to hear it run before splitting the cases.

1980 Gpz550 D1, 1981 GPz550 D1. 1982 GPz750R1. 1983 z1000R R2. all four aces

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• bluej58
  • Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • The chrome don't get you home
More
06 Aug 2015 18:42 - 06 Aug 2015 18:52 #684715 by bluej58
Replied by bluej58 on topic Checking coils for a short
OK, after rechecking everything I tried swapping the black and green primary wires and she fired right up.
I swear I put the cam back in right when I cleaned and greased the advance , and the left side point opens on the 1-4 F mark.
I don't get it.

Who cares, with fresh coils, new points and condenser, a new regulator / rectifier unit, cleaned and balanced carbs the bike is running very very good. B)

I am sure that is was ether the regulator or the rectifier that went bad, both of them were original and needed to go .
The replacement unit wasn't cheap 214.00 with tax and shipping and I'm sure that there are a bunch of guys here that could wire up one of the generic ones for half the price to work great, but for me the hook up was a no brainer :whistle:

I'm glad that is over with and really glad it didn't go out a thousand miles ago in the middle of the Smokie Mountains

78 KZ1000 A2A
Attachments:
Last edit: 06 Aug 2015 18:52 by bluej58.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.