battery too weak?

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
15 Jul 2015 07:10 - 15 Jul 2015 07:12 #680954 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic battery too weak?
AZ only has a 90 day warranty. DO NOT BUY FROM THEM. Mine died within 6 months.
The numbers mean voltage, size, amps and locations of the terminals. I recomended High Tech because I have used them and am happy with their service. My battery went bad after 10 months, they had me test it overnight and sent me a new one free of charge. A year and a half ago they sent me a battery for a KZ 900. Instead of being 14 amp, it was 10. I called them and e-mailed a pic of the two, they had me pay a extra $5 for the new one because it was bigger (taller) and sent me the right one. I asked what they wanted me to do with the old one, I was told to give it to a friend that needed a battery. I listed it on CL for $25 and this young guy got a new battery for his bike. :woohoo:
I suggested they advertise here and saw one banner but it was gone the next time I looked.
In the motorcycle world there has always been crooks looking to "take" new bike owners and still are. There was no internet or sites like this where you can get REAL information from people that really ride and work on their bikes.
If you're given advise and you find it sound, take it.
Oh, and RIDE THE PISS OUT OF IT. :woohoo:
Steve
Last edit: 15 Jul 2015 07:12 by SWest.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Jul 2015 07:46 - 15 Jul 2015 07:47 #680968 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic battery too weak?

blink543 wrote: What do the battery numbers mean? I'm having a hard time finding one that fits the battery holder. Went to AutoZone and they didn't have a battery that fit.

Internet search = motorcycle battery numbers explained.
The Yuasa site is good: use the quick search by vehicle type to find the battery for your bike --- the page will have lots of info indicating what the various digits mean. Another battery web page --- The care & feeding of your pet battery.

My next battery is going to be a Scorpion AGM from batterystuff.com YT12C Scorpion 12v 180 CCA
I use a Ctek US 0.8 smart charger & VC97 digital multimeter.
Last edit: 15 Jul 2015 07:47 by martin_csr.

More
15 Jul 2015 09:26 #680998 by KZB2 650
Replied by KZB2 650 on topic battery too weak?
The Yuasa for a 78 KZ650 B is a YB10L-A2........... my first one lasted right at 20 years (hard to believe but I know I'm right) till I killed it by for getting to turn off the ignition twice in two weeks then I went through 2 off brands from Walmart and Farm and fleet in 5 years (one leaked ....one a cell went bad) and went back to another Yuasa that's a good 4 years old now and still going strong.

I charge em with a 1 amp charger every 4-5 weeks during the winter for 2 to 2 and half hours in the house to keep em up too.

1978 KZ650 b-2
700cc Wiseco kit 10 to 1.
1980 KZ750 cam, ape springs, stock clutch/ Barnett springs.
Vance and Hines Header w/ comp baffle and Ape pods, Dyna S and green coils, copper wires.
29MM smooth bores W/ 17.5 pilots, 0-6s and 117.5 main
16/42 gearing X ring chain and alum rear JT sprocket.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
15 Jul 2015 09:32 #681001 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic battery too weak?
I haven't had a battery last that long in 20 years. Built to fail.
Steve